Countdown America

by M. C. Fox | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingAramenawing of Noble, Oklahoma USA on 6/24/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingAramenawing from Noble, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, June 24, 2020
I got this book to review from the Cozy Mystery Review Crew. It started out a bit slow for me, it took about 50 pages for me to really get invested. Which was right about where Isabella, the newly appointed Chief Supervisor at CIA headquarters, first realizes that her children and her mother might be in danger. She's interrogating a man who attacked her, and when he tells her she'll never save her family, she hightails it home, to find signs of a struggle and her mother and her young twins missing.

At one point I became suspicious of one of her coworkers, and I thought to myself “I'm gonna figure this out before Isabella, darn it.” But on the next page Isabella voiced her own suspicions of that same character, which made me hopeful the book would keep me guessing after all. And it delivered! Along with some twists and turns, there's a LOT of action. While Isabella is a kick ass character, a little suspension of belief is still needed. The narrative jumps around, with some chapters focusing on her mother, Valerie, desperately trying to escape the kidnappers and keep the kids' morale up, and other chapters focusing on Andre, a Russian computer code whiz, whose own family have also been kidnapped. He's being forced to work on a computer virus, and if he doesn't cooperate his family will be killed. I felt sorry for him, of course, and despite what he's working on I had sympathy for him.

The virus was what I had a little trouble with. I mean, I know there are some serious ones out there that can cause all kinds of problems if your computer is infected. But this was like a supervirus that would literally destroy our country. I guess that's plausible? I just couldn't quite see how one computer virus could take out a whole country. But, suspension of belief in place.

As much as I liked Isabella, I liked Valerie even more. She's a former agent herself, but never worked out in the field where all the physical action is. While reassuring the twins that their mother would find and rescue them, she stepped up and did everything she could to get herself and the twins away from the kidnappers. I probably related to her a bit more, being a grandmother and not as physically fit as Isabella. I hope that if I were in Valerie's situation I would be as brave as she was.

I will admit that if I came across this book in a store, I probably wouldn't have given it a second glance based on the title and the cover. So hopefully others will look past those. Just one more example of never judge a book by it's cover. I don't know if the author plans to write any further books about Isabella, but I would like to read more!

Journal Entry 2 by wingAramenawing at Noble, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, June 24, 2020
I'm expecting rhythmbiscuit's First Sentence Wrap It Up Book Box soon, and will be putting this one in the box.

Journal Entry 3 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, October 5, 2020
I chose this out of rhythmbiscuit's First Sentence Wrap-It-Up Bookbox ROUND 2 .

"Isabella put her finger up to her earpiece."

Journal Entry 4 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, June 2, 2021
I sped-read the first two-thirds, and was able to predict a few of the twists. Writing was formulaic, and author herself has admitted to taking advantage of the political atmosphere during publication. All these things combined could've been overlooked had Isabella been a more believable CIA operative, much less a supervisor (really? you run the cyber-terrorism unit but had to be reminded there exists video surveillance?). Nevermind the fact that taking down the country with this super-virus didn't require the kidnapping or multiple murder attempts anyway!
So a semi-entertaining plot mixed with scant research = airport bookshelf ready.

Journal Entry 5 by wingechodewing at 811 U St. in Port Townsend, Washington USA on Sunday, August 1, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (8/1/2021 UTC) at 811 U St. in Port Townsend, Washington USA

Hello dear reader,
Please leave a note on this traveling book (you can even do it anonymously)! Then read & release, if you so choose. Take a look around the Bookcrossing community; I hope you enjoy the book, and your time here!