O Come Ye Back to Ireland

by Niall Williams | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 5/28/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Thursday, May 28, 2020
For this year's BookCrossing 24 hour readathon I selected books that would let me travel to familiar far-away places. This is the one that held my interest the longest and suited my mood the best. Perhaps it is because I, too, harbor a dream of owning a small place in County Clare -- though not a farm!

This young married couple who are living and working in NYC decide in 1985 to go to Ireland to live on a farm and pursue the simple life and their own creative outlets of literature and art. Niall was raised in Dublin and his wife is an American whose grandfather once owned the farm they end up buying. The romantic dreams of Ireland are somewhat thwarted by the reality of undeveloped County Clare, where they do not have central heating or good insulation or a working telephone and they struggle to furnish their home. But they find the warmth and community in this impoverished but beautiful stretch of greenery and gain an increased respect for the people, for the hardiness of their spirits and the hardships of their lives, and for the little pleasures and kindnesses that make the West of Ireland what it is. Although theirs was a romantic dream, the life they found their is not romanticized and the hardships of a life dependent on unpredictable weather and predictable government red tape are not obscured by the obvious sense of joy and love that they found.

This book was a good reminder to me that my dream of the last year or so of having a place in County Clare is not one to be considered lightly. But it has not fully dissuaded me from pursuing it, though present circumstances may cause it to remain out of reach for a while.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Saturday, August 29, 2020

Released 5 mos ago (8/26/2020 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book went to my sister in law to enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by minibear at South Towne Mall in Sandy in Sandy, Utah USA on Saturday, November 28, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (11/28/2020 UTC) at South Towne Mall in Sandy in Sandy, Utah USA

Good book. Made me think of times, when I've wanted to move to small town life.