Lady of Hay

by Barbara Erskine | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kingfan30 of -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on 5/26/2020
Journal Entry 1 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 26, 2020
I read Midnight is a Lonely Place many years ago, and as my younger self loved it, the whole past meets present was something I’d never come across before. In fact I went out and found everything I could by Erskine, although don’t remember reading many if any of them.

Picking this up now, it does feel familiar, so I’m not sure if I did read it back then or if her books are very similar that it feels like her others. I found this on a whole quite frustrating, the story line at times is completely out there! I mean all these people that know each other and that on looking into a previous life are all linked 800 years ago. And boy do they drink, if it’s not scotch it’s wine, and never seem hungover! The abuse also concerned me, it seems it’s perfectly acceptable to rape someone without any consequences. The story of Matilda from King Johns era was far more interesting than Jo’s, and to to be fair it was a fairly quick easy read. However it was suggested that the story from 800 years ago had unresolved issues and that’s why it was playing out now, but I didn’t feel that this was wrapped up by the end. Maybe it’s a book of its time that’s now showing its age.

Journal Entry 2 by kingfan30 at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (6/3/2020 UTC) at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sent on to another bookcrosser after a request from the read it want it forum

Journal Entry 3 by millycat at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 05, 2020
This arrived today, many thanks Kingfan30! I've read a few of her others and couldn't resist the chance to find out how it started with her debut novel.