Vinegar Girl

by Anne Tyler | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 178109019X Global Overview for this book
Registered by LindyLouMac of Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on 5/22/2020
Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 22, 2020
Goodreads Synopsis:
Pulitzer Prize winner and American master Anne Tyler brings us an inspired, witty and irresistible contemporary take on one of Shakespeare’s most beloved comedies.

Kate Battista feels stuck. How did she end up running house and home for her eccentric scientist father and uppity, pretty younger sister Bunny? Plus, she’s always in trouble at work – her pre-school charges adore her, but their parents don’t always appreciate her unusual opinions and forthright manner.

Dr. Battista has other problems. After years out in the academic wilderness, he is on the verge of a breakthrough. His research could help millions. There’s only one problem: his brilliant young lab assistant, Pyotr, is about to be deported. And without Pyotr, all would be lost.

When Dr. Battista cooks up an outrageous plan that will enable Pyotr to stay in the country, he’s relying – as usual – on Kate to help him. Kate is furious: this time he’s really asking too much. But will she be able to resist the two men’s touchingly ludicrous campaign to bring her around?

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Tywyn Promenade in Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 22, 2020

Released 2 days ago (5/23/2020 11:00 AM UTC) at Tywyn Promenade in Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading

LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 22, 2020
My Review :
Over the years I have read, prior to this one, four of this author's previous novels and have always enjoyed her characterisations.
This modern rewriting of Shakespeare's 'Taming of the Shrew' was no exception. The protagonists of Vinegar Girl despite their idiosyncrasies are all feasible. Once again, she has related the everyday in her own sensitive way.
If you are a fan of Anne Tyler you have probably already read this one, I am somewhat behind! However, if you are new to her writing it would be a good introduction to her distinctive style.