An Animated Alphabet

by Marie Angel | Arts & Photography |
ISBN: 1567920233 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/21/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 21, 2020
I got this softcover from an online seller, after coveting it for some time. It's an ABC book with illustrations by famed artist Angel, some taken from her Harvard-commissioned Bestiaries and some entirely new. (This is a color reproduction of the original limited-edition work.) Some creatures are presented with their common names, others with the scientific names, as needed to fill out the alphabet - and they're all quite lovely! From the angelfish to the Zosterops ceylonensis (a Sri Lanka white-eye, a type of small songbird), the illustrations show the creatures wrapped around or tucked beneath the appropriate letter - or, as with the dormouse, clinging to it adorably.

Among the creatures that were new to me was the yapok, a carnivorous water opossum from South America; had never heard of that one before!

There are some bonus illustrations as well, from the staghorn beetle on the cover to the serpent on an inner title page - oh, and the three adorable cats on the pinxit page at the end. Charming little book!

Released 1 mo ago (5/25/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, New Searles Rd in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in my new Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]