The Fear Index

by Robert Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingover-the-moonwing of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 5/18/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, May 18, 2020
Bought second-hand from Ex Nihilo

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, July 16, 2020
Alex, a scientist from CERN sets up hedge fund in Geneva that makes billions using an algorithm. The action takes place over 24 hours, starting when Alex is attacked in his 60-million-dollar mansion in Cologny. I was terrified from beginning to end but could not put it down.
There's a chilling comment I'll remember from this - he mentions that when robots were invented, everyone thought they would replace humans for menial tasks like housework, ironing etc., whereas in fact they have replaced intelligence and that the jobs have been lost in the scientific and intellectual domains.

Coincidentally, the leitmotiv is Charles Darwin, and I've been reading about him in my other current book, about Humboldt: The Invention of Nature.

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Restaurant Vapiano in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, August 03, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (8/4/2020 UTC) at Restaurant Vapiano in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

As it's set in Geneva, it might interest one of the local bookcrossers, so I'll release it at our meetup