Winter Bees and Other Poems of the Cold

by Joyce Sidman, Rick Allen | Children's Books |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/16/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 16, 2020
I got this ex-library hardcover from Better World Books after coveting it for some time, mainly on the strength of the cover art. And it's worth the wait! It's a beautifully illustrated collection of "poems of the cold", with factual information alongside the poems. From "Dream of the Tundra Swan" to "Triolet for Skunk Cabbage", it celebrates the variety of living things and the ways they cope with cold weather - while throwing in some natural history and some interesting poetic forms. (The triolet is only one of the interesting forms; there's also a pantoum ("Under Ice", about beavers), with its careful, circling format.)

The illustrations range from lovely landscapes to studies of specific animals - to startling closeups, as in "The Whole World is Melting", where a chickadee spooks some tiny springtails such that some leap into the foreground, taking up half of the page...

"Brother Raven, Sister Wolf" shows how wolves and ravens may interact, ravens calling attention to possible prey that they hope to scavenge when the wolves are distsracted. "Winter Bees" opens with "We are an ancient tribe, a hardy scrum. Born with eyelash legs and tinsel wings, we are nothing on our own. Together, we are One" - and concludes with "Alone, we would falter and drop, a dot on the canvas of snow. Together, we boil, we teem, we hum. Deep in the winter hive, we burn like a golden sun."

Charming book indeed!

Released 1 mo ago (6/2/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, Spencer-Pierce-Little in Newbury, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library at the information kiosk (and within view of some very charming and curious animals); hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Pollinator challenge. ***