The House on Vesper Sands

by Paraic O'Donnell | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 2/28/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 28, 2021
London, 1893: high up in a house on a dark, snowy night, a lone seamstress stands by a window. So begins the swirling, serpentine world of Paraic O’Donnell’s Victorian-inspired mystery, the story of a city cloaked in shadow, but burning with questions: why does the seamstress jump from the window? Why is a cryptic message stitched into her skin? And how is she connected to a rash of missing girls, all of whom seem to have disappeared under similar circumstances?

On the case is Inspector Cutter, a detective as sharp and committed to his work as he is wryly hilarious. Gideon Bliss, a Cambridge dropout in love with one of the missing girls, stumbles into a role as Cutter’s sidekick. And clever young journalist Octavia Hillingdon sees the case as a chance to tell a story that matters—despite her employer’s preference that she stick to a women’s society column. As Inspector Cutter peels back the mystery layer by layer, he leads them all, at last, to the secrets that lie hidden at the house on Vesper Sands.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 17, 2021
A good atmospheric Victorian murder mystery with a hint of the supernatural about it.

It had the feel of being one a series rather than a stand alone but maybe the similarity to other books I've read made the characters - particularly Inspector Cutter - seem familiar to me. Despite it being reminiscent of other murder mysteries set in this period, the hint of the supernatural & gothic overtones gave it a nice edge without being overplayed & there were some nice humorous touches too.

I'd happily read more by this author, especially books featuring Cutter & young journalist Octavia Hillingdon if they happen to reappear in future books.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 17, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (9/17/2021 UTC) at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Moving this onto to someone who I hope will enjoy it :o)

Journal Entry 4 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 20, 2021
Waking to the postman knocking the door with a book parcel is a lovely way to start the day and on a Monday morning it's a lovely way to start the week! Thanks, plum, for this very welcome surprise. Half a dozen mysteries that I haven't read - can't be bad!
Your comments make this sound particularly attractive, so it's going to the head of queue :-)

Journal Entry 5 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 2, 2021
At the end of the first chapter I still wasn't sure that this gothic Victorian murder mystery with paranormal undertones was for me. By the end of the second, I knew it was . . .
Thanks again, plum. I really enjoyed that!

Journal Entry 6 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Burton Leonard, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 15, 2021

Released 1 wk ago (10/15/2021 UTC) at Burton Leonard, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Carrying 'look after yourself' greetings to a BookCrossing friend who's been throwing himself to the ground . . .

Journal Entry 7 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 19, 2021
Thank you very much this surprise "motley collection of books", which arrived yesterday. There's bound to be something of interest in here.