Home Fire

by Kamila Shamsie | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 073521770X Global Overview for this book
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 5/13/2020
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, May 13, 2020
I was loaned this book by my sister-in-law who received it from a friend. When I finished it and offered to return it to one of them the friend said I could dispose of it.

Here is my review:
I had heard that this book was very good. After all it won the 2018 Women's Prize for Fiction. It still took me by surprise at how relevant and well-written the book was.

In a part of London near Wembley stadium three children were raised by their mother as their father was off being a Muslim freedom fighter. Isma is the oldest and she raised the twins, Aneeka and Parvaiz, after their mother dropped dead of a heart attack. She got a job in a dry cleaning outfit and managed to pay bills and look after the twins until they reached adulthood. Now she can return to her studies and she has been offered a place in an American university where a former professor now works. Parvaiz left home soon after he graduated from high school. He was supposed to be going to Pakistan where the family had relatives but he never showed up there. He is occasionally online and his twin has heard from him but he doesn't contact Isma. Aneeka is going to law school at the London School of Economics (she is only 19 and in Canada she wouldn't be accepted into Law School until she had at least 2 years of University but I checked the LSE website and they do accept students with top notch high school grades) and she is staying with the woman who is their neighbour, Aunty Naseem. Isma meets a fellow Brit at a coffee shop she frequents and she recognizes him as Eamonn Lone, the son of a prominent Tory politician. Although the Lones are Muslim they do not practise the faith and Karamat Lone has made a name for himself as being hard on British-born Muslim terrorists. Isma knows Mr. Lone and his family because she appealed to him to learn more about her father's death after being captured by Americans and sent to Guantanamo. Mr. Lone refused to do anything for the family. Nevertheless Isma finds herself drawn to Eamonn and she eventually tells him of her father and how Eamonn's father let them down. When Eamonn returns to London he goes to visit Aunty Naseem and Aneeka and soon he and Aneeka are involved in a passionate love affair. Aneeka has not told Eamonn about her brother but when he proposes to her she reveals that she started seeing him because she thought he might be able to influence his father to let Parvaiz come home. Parvaiz has become disillusioned with ISIS and wants to return but they are holding his passport. Will Mr. Lone, who is now Home Secretary, help? I can't reveal more but I will say that the ending is dramatic and surprising.

In the acknowledments section the author says that a friend suggested she adopt the story of Antigone in a contemporary context. I suppose if I knew my Greek myths better then the ending would not have been a surprise. However, I am rather glad I didn't know this because I did read that section before I finished the book and I think that would have taken away from the drama of the ending.

If you have ever wondered how young people get influenced to leave home and join terrorist organizations then this book will explain it. It is truly an insidious process

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, June 05, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (6/5/2020 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Winnipeg BookCrossers had a socially distanced meetup in Crescent Drive Park and this book was snapped up by one of the attendees.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, June 05, 2020
I'm the up-snapping attendee! The book sounds very intriguing. Thanks gypsysmom. It was lovely to have that meeting outdoors after weeks of self-isolation.