The Chains That You Refuse

by Elizabeth Bear | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/11/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, May 11, 2020
I've enjoyed other works by Bear, including her delightful "Boojumverse" collaborations with Sarah Monette, and was pleased to find this ex-library softcover anthology of Bear's speculative fiction at Better World Books.

The variety of themes, styles and settings here is impressive, as is the fact that I bookmarked nearly every story as "quotable" - a problem for me when trying to review a book, as I don't want to just recap the whole thing! Whether writing about a dishonored warrior who's now living as a giant carp in a New York City fountain, the maimed soldier dealing with issues of loyalty in "Gone to Flowers", "ironworkers in space" in "High Iron", or a Lovecraft/Sherlock-Holmes crossover in "Tiger! Tiger!", the tales go in unexpected directions and feature fascinating and memorable characters. There's an alternate-history tale featuring Christopher Marlowe, a wrenching short tale from a dog's eye-view, a game between rival secret agents, and more. (I also enjoyed the author bio at the end: "Elizabeth Bear is her real name, but not all of it. Her dogs outweigh her, and she is much beset by her cats.")

[There's a TV Tropes page on Bear and her work, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 1 mo ago (11/30/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, Revive Recovery Center in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2020 The The challenge. ***