The Dressmaker of Khair Khana

by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0062074954 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 5/9/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, May 09, 2020
The inspiring story of an Afghan woman who, when Taliban took over the city and her father and brothers had to flee, tried to feed her remaining family by starting a dressmaking business.

I enjoy reading about Kamila and other Afghan women's resourcefulness and entrepreneurship. However, I also feel that some details are missing. It feels like Camila just walked into a store and got a commission, the storekeeper even gave her the material to work on... and he didn't even know her name or face! Ok, I am from a jaded culture where nobody trusts anybody anymore, but I do find it somewhat hard to believe. Also, a month and a half of quarantine makes me wonder: do people still need to buy that many clothes if they have to stay home (or hide under the burqa?) And did they have difficulties finding daily necessities?

Anyway, reading this and other similar books confirms my belief that, in every culture there are smart, hardworking women who can do a lot of good to the community. It's the society's great and sad loss if we do not give them the opportunity to maximize their potentials.

Released 4 wks ago (7/13/2020 UTC) at by mail in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, Florida USA

Off to booklady331 as a RABCK. Hope you enjoy it. Stay safe and well!

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, July 30, 2020
Received this today. It may have come sooner but I was on vacation and returned today. Thank you so much for not sharing just this book with me, but also two others. I was surprised. I appreciate your generosity.