The Works of Christina Rossetti

Registered by winglabmomnmwing of Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on 5/7/2020
Journal Entry 1 by winglabmomnmwing from Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Thursday, May 7, 2020
I picked this up at a library sale. I like a lot of her poems, but I think this collection may be just too much for me. I found a few new favorites in this, but am ready to pass it along.
One of the new faves is "No, Thank You, John" - which seems incredibly modern but also timeless, unfortunately. It is longish, so I won't add it here, but one early stanza goes:

"I have no heart? - Perhaps I have not;
But then you're mad to take offence
That I don't give you what I have not got:
Use your own common sense"

Released 2 yrs ago (3/30/2022 UTC) at By mail / post / courier, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Finally mailed!

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at Atlanta, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 5, 2022
This evening I found this lovely book within a lovely book box including issues of Poetry Magazine and other treasures. I have not subscribed to Poetry for a long time. What a wonderful gift for poetry month! I am grateful for these labmomnm and for your lovely letter of this weekend. You will hear from me soon. Christina Rossetti was once a favorite poet of mine. I haven't read her for a while. It will be interesting to see how I feel about her at this stage of life, when I am so, so different.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Thursday, November 2, 2023
I am a great admirer of Christina Rossetti. I think she is the greatest female poet of the Victorian age. I rank her above Elizabeth Barrett Browning. At All Souls, I always think of her poem, "When I am dead, my dearest:"

When I am dead, my dearest,
Sing no sad songs for me;
Plant thou no roses at my head,
Nor shady cypress tree:
Be the green grass above me
With showers and dewdrops wet;
And if thou wilt, remember,
And if thou wilt, forget.

I shall not see the shadows,
I shall not feel the rain;
I shall not hear the nightingale
Sing on, as if in pain:
And dreaming through the twilight
That doth not rise nor set,
Haply I may remember,
And haply may forget.

I woke lachrymose this morning, remembering a friend who died and those who are gone from another time.

I have been a poor friend to labmomnm, owing her a letter for well over a year now. I had COVID and have been playing catch up all year. This gift is appreciated. It's a great collection but overwhelming too.

Alas, there are no wishes for Christina Rossetti in BookCrossing and few of her books are registered here. I am an admirer of Virgina Woolf's essay on the subject of this wrongly forgotten poet, "I am Christina Rossetti." It is not worshipful, but it should make any reader at least think about reading her poetry:

Released 7 mos ago (11/3/2023 UTC) at Mary Scott Nature Park Little Free Library Charter 51009 in Atlanta, Georgia USA

This a gift from BookCrossing, a random community of book lovers, released in observance of All Souls. May it bring comfort and encouragement to its future readers.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Sunday, April 21, 2024
When I stopped by Mary Scott Nature Park today, I noted that this book was chosen. I hope it is having happy reading adventures.