Kill Alex Cross

by James Patterson | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by book_drunkard of Osgood, Indiana USA on 4/25/2020
Journal Entry 1 by book_drunkard from Osgood, Indiana USA on Saturday, April 25, 2020
Summary from Goodreads:

With relentless danger around every corner, Detective Alex Cross is hunting down a kidnapper . . . but only if someone powerful doesn't kill him first.
The President's son and daughter are abducted, and Detective Alex Cross is one of the first on the scene. But someone very high-up is using the FBI, Secret Service, and CIA to keep him off the case and in the dark.
A deadly contagion in the water supply cripples half of the capital, and Alex discovers that someone may be about to unleash the most devastating attack the United States has ever experienced.
As his window for solving both crimes narrows, Alex makes a desperate decision that goes against everything he believes-one that may alter the fate of the entire country. Kill Alex Cross is fast, exciting, and tightly wound, full of "fast-and-furious action" (Washington Post).

Journal Entry 2 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Saturday, April 25, 2020
Received in a box of books that someone gave to me.
Making available, since I already have a copy of this one.

Journal Entry 3 by book_drunkard at Crime Scene Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Released 3 mos ago (8/31/2021 UTC) at Crime Scene Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sending off in a bookbox.
Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Friday, September 17, 2021
Received in the Crime Scene / Mystery box.

I will realize this book back into the box.

Journal Entry 5 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Friday, September 17, 2021

Released 2 mos ago (9/17/2021 UTC) at Denver, Colorado USA

Released in the Crime Scene / Mystery box.

Please enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 6, 2021
I'm claiming this from the Crime Scene/Mystery bookbox (bookbox journal with list of choices and replacements here). I'm always a bit iffy about Patterson, but this one - with its "deadly contagion" subplot - sounds intriguing!

Later: Aaaaand... this was more than a little scattered - though it does make sense that high-level experts might have to cope with more than one crisis at a time. But in the plot-pacing sense I found it distracting; the kidnapping of the President's children (ages 12 and 14) vied with a terrorist plot to poison the water in DC, and with lots of stonewalling from several government agencies suggesting to Cross that there might be even bigger plots afoot. (I'm not that fond of conspiracy-theory stories, as it tends to mean that one can't trust anyone, ever, which takes a lot of the fun out of it for me; in this case I tried to focus on the kidnapped-kids part of the story, while hoping that there'd be a more interesting explanation behind all the conspiracy/terrorism stuff.)

At least the kidnapped-kids part of the story had a satisfactory conclusion, with a little help from the kids themselves, though the villain's motive was rather trite. Still, a nicely chilling tale in itself.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at New England's Tap House Grille in Hooksett, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, October 16, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (10/16/2021 UTC) at New England's Tap House Grille in Hooksett, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench or window ledge at the Tap House Grille when stopping by for dinner; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Spook-tacular challenge. ***