The Ghost Orchard

by Helen Humphreys | Outdoors & Nature |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 4/14/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, April 14, 2020
TBR.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 25, 2020
Overall, I enjoyed this one. It is structured as a collection of five essays (they stand alone, so I am inclined to describe them that way rather than as chapters) in essentially chronological order. I found the first essay a bit dry and wondered if I was going to enjoy the read, but then I loved the subsequent three. The fifth was strong as well.

Humphreys weaves some memoir aspects into this work of natural history, and if they don't always completely fit, that is forgiven for the personal perspective that they bring to the subject matter. In addition, the book includes full-color watercolor paintings of apples done by watercolor artists hired by the USDA. These watercolorists are the subject of the third essay in the book.

Released 2 mos ago (4/27/2020 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Headed out as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 02, 2020
The book arrived safely on this warm, sunny day; many thanks! I live in apple country, with working orchards not far away and with random apple trees at every turn, so I look forward to reading the book - and, eventually, to releasing it at one of those orchards!

Later: Very enjoyable read, from the haunting accounts of the long-vanished orchards to the much-appreciated look at some of the artists who created the lovely images of different varieties of apples. (Some years back I was able to sample a variety of heirloom apples through a Michigan-based farm that provided species not available to supermarkets, and I saw some of those varieties pictured in this book - a nice memory for me there!) I also appreciated the "Robert Frost" chapter; I've visited the Derry farm where he worked an orchard for several years, and I love his poetry. The chapter also had some touching memoirs from the author about herself and a friend, tying them in to the Frost retrospective. (Her description of Frost's orchard in Ripton, Vermont made me want to add that to the "road trip when it's safe to travel long distances" list.)

And there's more, including the author's whimsical imaginings about the possible discovery of the White Winter Pearmain apple that she began her account with. And this quote:

"It is an intimate act, tasting an apple - having the flesh of the fruit in our mouths, the juice on our tongues. Ann Jessop bites into an apple in an English orchard in the hot summer of 1790 in the middle of her life, and I bite into the same kind of apple in 2016, in the middle of my life, and taste what she did. For the time it takes to eat the apple, I am where she was, and I know what she knows, and there is no separation between us."

Released 1 mo ago (5/31/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, Hollis St. in Pepperell, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this beautiful day; hope someone enjoys the book! (This LFL is just down the road from a farm stand and some apple orchards, so it seemed like a suitable spot.)

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 April Showers/May Flowers challenge. ***