The Great Pretender

by Susannah Cahalan | Health, Mind & Body |
Registered by RNAi of Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on 4/14/2020
Journal Entry 1 by RNAi from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 14, 2020
"From "one of America's most courageous young journalists" (NPR) comes a propulsive narrative history investigating the 50-year-old mystery behind a dramatic experiment that changed the course of modern medicine.

For centuries, doctors have struggled to define mental illness-how do you diagnose it, how do you treat it, how do you even know what it is? In search of an answer, in the 1970s a Stanford psychologist named David Rosenhan and seven other people -- sane, normal, well-adjusted members of society -- went undercover into asylums around America to test the legitimacy of psychiatry's labels. Forced to remain inside until they'd "proven" themselves sane, all eight emerged with alarming diagnoses and even more troubling stories of their treatment. Rosenhan's watershed study broke open the field of psychiatry, closing down institutions and changing mental health diagnosis forever.

But, as Cahalan's explosive new research shows, very little in this saga is exactly as it seems. What really happened behind those closed asylum doors, and what does it mean for our understanding of mental illness today?" (summary taken from Goodreads.com)

I received an Advanced Review Copy for the book that was published in November of 2019. I enjoyed it a lot. It will be sent to etherea for the 2020 US/Canada Wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 2 by RNAi at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (4/14/2020 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Mailed out to etherea today, April 14.

Journal Entry 3 by wingethereawing at Little Rock, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, May 13, 2020
I read Susannah Cahalan's memoir "Brain on Fire" a few years ago. It was an eye-opener. This book promises more of the same.
Thanks for sharing it with me!

Journal Entry 4 by wingethereawing at Little Rock, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, June 24, 2020
Wow! I've just finished this book and am still wondering what happened. It raises a lot of questions. The more we know, the more we wonder!

Released 11 mos ago (11/2/2020 UTC) at elizardbreath's Biography/Memoir Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

I'm putting this in elizardbreath's Biography/Memoir box.
Feel free to enjoy the book, keep it, or pass it along to a friend, neighbor, family member or co-worker, or simply leave it somewhere for another lucky reader to enjoy as you did!
No strings attached!

Journal Entry 6 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, November 25, 2020
This came home in my Biographies/Memoirs bookbox. Thank you! I read Nellie Bly's account of her 19th century mad-house infiltration earlier this month (another book from etherea---thanks!) so the topic is fresh in my mind. I'll hold on to this for a bit and see if I end up reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by wingelizardbreathwing at Avalon Lake Little Free Library in Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Released 7 mos ago (3/3/2021 UTC) at Avalon Lake Little Free Library in Bella Vista, Arkansas USA

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)