The Chain

by Adrian McKinty | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by emscott10 of North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on 4/1/2020
Journal Entry 1 by emscott10 from North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 01, 2020
I found this an extremely likely story, I couldn’t put this book down and the ending certainly did not disappoint.

Reserved for Daffodil-2.

Journal Entry 2 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, June 11, 2020
Received from Emscott10. Looks like my kind of book and maybe my husband will read it too. Thanks.

Journal Entry 3 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, June 19, 2020
My husband has read this book. He said that he thought it was a bit far-fetched at times and there were a few too many characters. In spite of this he did read it very quickly.
It will go back on my shelves now until I can fit it into one of Plum-Crazy's monthly "What to Read" themes.

Journal Entry 4 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 08, 2020
REVIEW:-"I read this book quite quickly as it was compelling although very far-fetched in places with characters who sometimes developed in an incredibly unlikely way. There were a couple of storylines that seemed to just disappear with regard to, in one instance, a boy in a wheelchair and in another stopping someone contacting the FBI.
I did guess the twist at the end which was a huge coincidence. All in all an entertaining read with a very scary scenario played out very dramatically."
Reserved for Plum-Crazy as part of the UK Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 5 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/14/2020 UTC) at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book was sent to Plum-Crazy as part of the UK Wishlist Tag Game.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 6 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 19, 2020
Thanks so much for this list wish book & all the other goodies 😘

Journal Entry 7 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 02, 2020
You’re on your way to an appointment when your phone rings showing "unknown caller". Answering it, you hear the words that will change your life forever: "I’ve kidnapped your daughter"
This isn’t a simple kidnap for ransom though, more than money is needed for your child to be released: you must abduct someone else's child to save your own. Don’t think of disobeying or going to the cops. Follow the rules or your child will die.

Can you do it? Can you risk NOT doing it? Well putting another family through this agony won’t help unless they play ball too….your victim's parents must kidnap another child before yours is released. Devious eh? & it means you’re now part of the chain & the crucial thing to remember is:

#DONTBREAKTHECHAIN

Rachel is one of those unlucky parents that gets such a call. Already in a battle with cancer, Rachel marshalls her strength to take on this new fight & sets out to recover her daughter. Her transistion from victim to criminal is not without its problems but she approaches the bizarre & cruel situation in a surprisingly rational way & as the story progresses her focus becomes the destruction of The Chain. But The Chain is ever vigilant, ever aware of those who might be about to snap one of its links & for anyone trying to free themselves an untimely end is on the cards…

This was a gripping read from the start & it had me hooked. Many of the situations were scarily plausible scenarios, with others a bit less credible. However, they balanced each other out & the odd flashes of black humour, of the sort I so like, were nice touches. Rachel is a strong character, so’s her daughter for that matter, with more mettle than the men they have to rely on. What I found particularly scary was how easily Rachel was able to track someones movements via social media. Do some people really document every little move they make for all the world to see? Crazy…though I bet they wouldn’t after reading this!

As the story develops a history of The Chain’s creators begins to emerge & while these were interesting parts of the book, they broke into the pace & tension of the story so it lost a little of its momentum for me. That said I was still completely absorbed right to very end of …what else but….chapter 77 ;o)

Overall, I found it thoroughly enjoyable but it does leave me with one burning question: Why haven’t I read this author before? Still that’s something I can remedy…