Around India in 80 Trains

Registered by Yogiberri of Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex United Kingdom on 3/8/2020
Journal Entry 1 by Yogiberri from Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, March 8, 2020
Purchased with my fellow gricer in mind - however it would be rude not to sample the dish before passing it on. Very tqsty indeed - I think the poodlesister will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 2 by Yogiberri at Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, March 8, 2020

Released 2 yrs ago (3/8/2020 UTC) at Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex United Kingdom

For onward consumption of fellow gricer, or should that be "spodder!", the poodlesister.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, April 24, 2020
Received in a very thoughtful care package from Yogiberri

Journal Entry 4 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, November 29, 2021
Review copied from my review on Goodreads.

This book made me chuckle out loud. I had heard the author speak about her most recent book (Around the World in 80 Trains) and really liked her style. This is a personal account with lots of descriptions of interaction with the people she meets. There is some history and a bit of information about trains but if you are looking for a po-faced history of India and lots of academic research and language, this is not the book for you. [That last sentence is a dig at a very critical reviewer on Goodreads - there is always at least one who writes a boring essay of a review about why they don’t like a book.]. It was most definitely the book for me. I love a humorous and from the heart travelogue which is authentic (from the author’s perspective). I work for a railway in the UK and I enjoyed it from a professional as well as personal perspective. I read half the book on a train, which felt very appropriate.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, December 12, 2021
This is my choice for the Favourites Roundabout for 2021

Valpete (USA)
Dark-Draco (UK)
Ythan (UK)
Cross-Patch (UK)
Back to Poodlesister (UK)

Released 5 mos ago (12/12/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This will go with another book and a few Christmas presents when I next visit the post office.

Journal Entry 7 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 25, 2021
In my Chrisrmas box. I think I might enjoy this.

Journal Entry 8 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, January 16, 2022
There are lots of reasons for visiting India, not least the numerous UNESC World Heritage sites, however for me there are also lots of reasons for not visiting. I hate crowds and noise, but even worse my stomach hates spiced food. It is bad enough being careful in the UK when I still have times I scared to leave the vicinity of a bathroom so I don’t think I would survive on food in India. Now having read this book, it has confirmed my fears. Crowded platforms with the chance of being pushed off makes my commute sound like a dream. I can’t even share a bedroom with someone so sleeping on a train sounds horrific to me never mind the risk of being groped or robbed. I was stressed reading about a lot of the journeys never mind coping with Passepartout so wasn’t the least bit surprised she needed to spend 10 days in silent meditation. Nonetheless I did enjoy reading this book and if I do ever visit India, it will be 100% luxury - I will be on the Indian Maharaja and the Golden Chariot plus the odd toy train.

Journal Entry 9 by wingearthcaroleannewing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 16, 2022

Released 4 mos ago (1/16/2022 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

On its way in the roundabout.

Journal Entry 10 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 20, 2022
It's arrived, thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 3, 2022
I started this book being a bit appalled by Monisha Rajesh's idea of travelling the length and breadth of India in 80 train journeys - her description of her earlier time living in India sounds dreadful, the trains are both busy and filthy, the journey times are long beyond belief and she has a travelling companion, Passepartout, who she's only just met. She's certainly braver than I am! However I soon found myself sharing her enchantment with the colour, variety, even the noise and bustle and most of all the delightful people, taking advantage of every opportunity but also overwhelmingly generous. As a not-very-serious Hindu, Monisha doesn't expect any spiritual element to her journey, so it's interesting to see how her experiences on the subcontinent influence her views in surprising ways. I really enjoyed this, I feel like I want to be friends with Monisha Rajesh and also that I really need to go to India some day, though maybe I'd prefer a slightly safer/cleaner environment than some of the trains.

Journal Entry 12 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 7, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (2/7/2022 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Posted today to grovalskii.

Journal Entry 13 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Saturday, February 19, 2022
Ooooh! This looks good! India is somewhere high up on my bucket list. Not that I plan on travelling through India by train, but generally train travel gets you closer to the real life of people than for instance travelling by plane. So I'm really looking forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 14 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, March 15, 2022
It took me quite a bit longer than I thought it would to read this book. Part of the problem was time, but the other part was that I kept looking up things. The various trains that were mentioned, or places that they visited, it was all so fascinating! I really enjoyed this book. Thanks for sharing, Poodlesister!

Journal Entry 15 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Friday, March 25, 2022
It has arrived in Finland, thank you!

Journal Entry 16 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Monday, May 16, 2022
I have not read many books on India, fiction or non-fiction, so this book was a welcome window to the country and people. I was afraid that it would be boring to read accounts of 80 train trips - well, how different could they be from each other? - but I was wrong. The style of writing is light, and I really enjoyed reading about the people Monisha Rajesh met during her travels and the cultural events and adventures she got herself and her travel companion into.

Journal Entry 17 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Saturday, May 21, 2022

Planned Release in 2 hrs (5/21/2022 1:00 PM UTC) at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland

Off it goes to the Netherlands. Happy travels, book! And happy travels in numerous Indian trains, Fifna!