The Invention of Nature

by Andrea Wulf | Travel |
Registered by wingover-the-moonwing of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 2/29/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, February 29, 2020
Ordered from book depository, for my reading group. For the first time, two bd books came in the same parcel. But only one bookmark.

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, July 19, 2020
Well deserving of all the adjectives praising it on the back cover: inspired, luminous, excellent, thrilling, fascinating, gripping, brilliant, masterly, stupendous....
The book not only documents the adventurous life of irrepressible Alexander von Humboldt, who warned against climate change more than two centuries ago, but also the men influenced by him, some of whom he met - Darwin, John Muir, Thoreau, President Jefferson, Haeckel (who invented the word "ecology"), Simon Bolivar and more. The man's energy and stamina is unbelievable. Wulf's writing style is very approachable, never stodgy. Essential reading for anyone who cares about the world we live in and which we are close to ruining.

Everyone in my reading group enjoyed it.

I should add that though it looks very thick more than 100pp are devoted to index, notes etc.