Beautiful Joe's Paradise

by Marshall Sauners | Children's Books |
Registered by wingminesaynwing of Huron, Ohio USA on 2/17/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingminesaynwing from Huron, Ohio USA on Monday, February 17, 2020
"No two persons ever read the same book."--Edmund Wilson

By registering this book, I am sharing this book with the wider world--enjoy!

The sequel to Beautiful Joe, this story chronicles the afterlife of many of the animals introduced in her earlier books. Known also as "The Island of Brotherly Love," this paradise is a magical place without human beings where animals, domestic and wild, live in harmony--they are able to speak their thoughts, food is abundant, and injuries disappear.

Journal Entry 2 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Sunday, May 24, 2020
This is the sequel to Beautiful Joe, which was one of my favorite books as a child. I read it multiple times, and the story of Beautiful Joe (so named because his cruel master sliced off his ears and tail, making him look ugly and his new masters wanted him to feel better about himself) never failed to affect me as the story of various animals (and their owners) was told from the perspective of Joe himself.

The sequel is also told in the first person, but not by Joe, but by Sam Emerson, who read Beautiful Joe's story. Sam is distraught, okay, devastated is more modern word for his emotions, about the death of his dog, Rag, at the hands of a neighborhood boy, Hillington.

Sam gets transported by airship to The Island of Brotherly Love where animals of all kinds go when they die. Once there, he and Rag are greeted warmly by all the animals, many of whom Sam has read about in Joe's story. Sam discovers that Joe is President of the animals on the island, and he has adventures with many of the animals, but also learns some invaluable life lessons on how to treat any animal as well as moral lessons for dealing with people, too.

Having not read Beautiful Joe recently (50+ years ago was the last time I read it), my recollections of the pets and characters of the book were sketchy. This was unfortunate because some of the animals appear in the sequel, and it is presumed that all those details are fresh in the reader's mind.

I learned of some new animals previously unknown to me, which had me reaching for the dictionary. Because it was written well over 100 years ago, the language was a bit stilted, but again,
using a dictionary only improves the vocabulary. Overall, glad to have read the book about Joe's and the other pets' eternal lives in a paradise where all animal have learned to get along.

Not as good as the original, but glad I read it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingminesaynwing at Osgood, Indiana USA on Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (5/26/2020 UTC) at Osgood, Indiana USA

"No two persons ever read the same book."--Edmund Wilson

Sharing this book with the wider world--enjoy!
I have either registered it, or received it from another person who is willing to share it, too. Consider logging onto www.bookcrossing.com and letting us know where it is been and where it is going next. It can be done anonymously or join the site as a member.

As promised, one of the monthly challenges (March 2020 Dogs). Hope you enjoy the sequel. Because you recently read the original, you'll probably remember more of the animals.

Journal Entry 4 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Saturday, May 30, 2020
Received today.

Thank you, so much, for sending this book to me.
As much as I'd love to dive right into it, I'm going to lay it aside and save it for the 2021 Decade Challenge on Goodreads, as books published in the 1900-1909 era aren't something I have a lot of on my shelf.
Thank you, again, for sharing all of these wonderful books with me.
You are such a special blessing in my life.