The pickup

by Nadine Gordimer | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingvaga-bondewing of Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on 2/16/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingvaga-bondewing from Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Sunday, February 16, 2020
The novel starts in South Africa when Julie, a young women from a rich family (from which she tries to distance herself) meets Abdu, a young Arab illegal immigrant mechanic. It follows them in his quest to legally emigrate to whichever country will accept him. Nadine Gordimer's style is masterful, as is her treatment of the various characters. But Julie's flawed personality (dishonest, egocentric and selfish) annoyed me profoundly and made it impossible for me to completely enjoy this very subtle story of emigration, race and cultural differences.

Journal Entry 2 by wingvaga-bondewing at Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Monday, March 16, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (3/16/2020 UTC) at Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France

March RABCK book offer.
Happy reading Icila!

Journal Entry 3 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, March 19, 2020
Thank you vaga-bonde, the book arrived safely.

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, March 24, 2020
A style very difficult for me. I had to reread the sentences a lot to understand the meaning and who was speaking but I was hooked.
I liked Julie who found a poor but real loving family.

07/05/21 Reserved for Women in Fiction VBB.

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, June 7, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (6/7/2021 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to mcsar in Canada. Thank you for choosing it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, June 26, 2021
Arrived in the middle of the week. Thank you.