Waiting for Tomorrow

Where have you been?
by Nathacha Appanah | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingmcsarwing of Richmond, British Columbia Canada on 4/21/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingmcsarwing from Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, April 21, 2020
Anita is waiting for Adam to be released from prison. They met twenty years ago at a New Year’s Eve party in Paris, a city where they both felt out of place—he as a recent arrival from the provinces, and she as an immigrant from the island of Mauritius. They quickly fell in love, married, and moved to a village in southwestern France, to live on the shores of the Atlantic with their little girl, Laura.

In order to earn a living, Adam has left behind his love of painting to become an architect, and Anita has turned her desire to write into a job freelancing for a local newspaper. Over time, the monotony of daily life begins to erode the bonds of their marriage. The arrival of Adèle, an undocumented immigrant from Mauritius whom they hire to care for Laura, sparks artistic inspiration for both Adam and Anita, as well as a renewed energy in their relationship. But this harmony proves to be short-lived, brought down by their separate transgressions of Adèle’s privacy and a subsequently tragic turn of events.

With the careful observation, vivid description, and emotional resonance that are the hallmarks of her previous novel, The Last Brother, in Waiting for Tomorrow Nathacha Appanah investigates the life of the artist, the question of cultural differences within a marriage, and the creation and the destruction of a family.
-------------------------

I loved it. A very engaging read. I would surely be on the lookout for other books by this author.

Reserved as a wishlist tag for Arvores.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, February 6, 2021

Released 9 mos ago (2/5/2021 UTC) at Richmond, British Columbia Canada

I am so happy I tagged you with this. Such a great read. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by Arvores at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Wednesday, April 14, 2021
I'm very curious about this author, even more after your comments.
Thank you so much for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 4 by Arvores at Belmonte, Castelo Branco Portugal on Tuesday, September 14, 2021
A well written story that drives you to the impermanence of everything and the importance of choices. No choice, big or small, is irrelevant.
One more author I have come across through "La Grande Librairie", a TV program from TV5 Monde that I really like. I intend to follow her work.
The book will now follow its journey to my beloved Finland as a wishlist tag to sakirmo. I wish I could deliver it in hand.

Journal Entry 5 by Arvores at Belmonte, Castelo Branco Portugal on Wednesday, September 22, 2021
Sent to sakirmo yesterday.
Happy readings.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, September 30, 2021
The book has arrived, many thanks!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, October 10, 2021
A sad story, beautiful too but perhaps not exactly my cup of tea. Not the fault of the author though, I'd still like to try something else by her.

Released 1 mo ago (10/16/2021 UTC) at Wäinö Aaltosen museo in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

At the meet-up

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 9 by Nokkosperhonen at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, October 16, 2021
Thanks for the book. I have never heard of this author before.