Beauty

by Christina Chiu | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 173377775X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 1/28/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Thank you, swp.com for sending me this book to read and review. I can't wait to start reading it!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 08, 2020
This book did not work for me. Maybe I'm simply the wrong target reader. This was the story of a Chinese American woman, Amy Wong, who sought a career in design and beauty. Her dad had left her mom to do business in Hong Kong where he ended up with another woman. Her mom decided to go to Hong Kong to bring back her dad. Her sister Georgie was a doctor who never married. Amy's choice at graduation was a career in design or marriage. She opted for marriage to a known name in fashion design. All did not work out according to plan.

The book left me cold in all kinds of ways. I did not like any of the characters except for Amy's friend Ben who seemed as if he were the only kind and caring person in the whole story. I didn't know the reasons why the characters interacted so unkindly to each other. By book's end, I was wondering if this was because the book was trying to cover too much ground without exploring anything much in depth. I forced myself to finish this book, but I felt as cold about it at the end as I did in the beginning.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 23, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/23/2021 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book today to 6of8. Thanks for your surprise visit!

-----------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 23, 2021
One of the books Squeaky handed me when I was doing the BC shuffle today. I will add it to my shelf of TBR. I don't know when I will get to it (the fact that Squeaky didn't recommend it doesn't help) but I will give it a try at some point.