K

by Ted O'Connell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 1/28/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Thank you, swp.com for sending me this book to read and review. I startde it yesterday and am already impressed with it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, February 05, 2020
Stunning! This story is stunning in every sense of the word!

This debut novel tells about a German-American English teacher in China who is imprisoned due to alleged contributing to the political dissidence of two students among other charges. It incorporates other history as the teacher, Francis Kaufman, has a Jewish father who escaped Nazi Germany. How these two histories are interwoven in a credible manner in this novel is just one aspect of this story's complexity.

Mr. Kaufman is the narrator of the story which goes back and forth in time between his present prison sentence in Kun Chong and his own family history. As the two converge near the end of the book, I found no telling what would happen. I kept reading compuulsively, but the topics are so savage that I found myself taking intermissions just to calm down. The characters are so real that they practically jump off of the pages.

Something that might be off-putting for other readers but I found fabulous were some English words, some Chinese words, and some acronyms with which I was not familiar. I enjoyed educating myself about these to make my reading experience of this book so much richer.

I've read quite a bit about China in the past, but it is a new experience to read something quite so contemporary...a novel which mentions Presidents Obama and Trump in an offhand way. I found this novel very frightening because I was getting a subliminal (or really maybe not so subtle) message that the power is not in the people...in any country.

"The moment you say that this man's life is worth more than than man's --you can justify anything."

I found myself stopping at frequent intervals to write down quotes from many of the characters. So many of their statements are worth noting and remembering.

Even though I found this book chilling, I think it is a must read. It is a wake-up call to people who allow their own governments too much power, whatever the jurisdiction.

I am ever so ready to read any other work by this brilliant novelist. I know he's a musician, but I would also love to encourage and support his career as an author!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 23, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/23/2021 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book today to 6of8. Thanks for your surprise visit!

-----------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 23, 2021
Squeaky handed me this book today when I was transporting books from local BCer to local BCer. It sounds depressing, as she said, but she thought it was amazing, so that means it is higher on my TBR than others I have. If it fulfills a challenge prompt it is more likely to get rid in the near future -- I will have to check.