Lucky (Bookring)

by Alice Sebold | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by amsfy of Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 4/20/2004
Journal Entry 1 by amsfy from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 20, 2004
The opening chapter is very gripping, and might not be everyone's cup of tea. But this is not fiction and I guess such stories will always shock. What happened to her friend 'Lila' is very sad, and the way she dealt with this is very admirable.

Synopsis:

"In a memoir hailed for its searing candour and wit, Alice Sebold reveals how her life was utterly transformed when, as an eighteen-year-old college freshman, she was brutally raped and beaten in a park near campus.

What propels this chronicle of her recovery is Sebold's indomitable spirit - as she struggles for understanding ('After telling the hard facts to anyone, from lover to friend, I have changed in their eyes'); as her dazed family and friends sometimes bungle their efforts to provide comfort and support; and as, ultimately, she triumphs, managing through grit and coincidence to help secure her attacker's arrest and conviction.

In a narrative by turns disturbing, thrilling, and inspiring, Alice Sebold illuminates the experience of trauma victims even as she imparts wisdom profoundly hard-won: 'You save yourself or you remain unsaved.'"

Journal Entry 2 by amsfy from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 05, 2004
book sent out today to MaaikeB (nl)

Bookring status:
MaaikeB (NL) - finished, on the way to...
ecritures (nl) - ...has sent it to...
Erbie (nl) - ...tbr...
wollie (nl)
dutch-flybaby (nl)
muizz (nl)
maupi (nl)
the-booklet or Fong (nl)
urpfi (Switzerland)

Journal Entry 3 by MaaikeB from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, May 07, 2004
The book has arrived. I'll try to read it ASAP, but the ringbooks start piling up...

Journal Entry 4 by MaaikeB from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, May 20, 2004
Impressive, the way Sebold dealt with this rape and with what happened to Lila. And so sad to read how something like this keeps influencing her life and relationships. I'm very happy for her that she managed to surface, to overcome her heroin addiction and to have friends and a husband. Thanks, Fong, for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, June 27, 2004
I noticed I hadn't even registered that the book arrived safely at my place, sorry for that. The book has ended up on an enormous pile TBR and I am afraid i won;t be able to read it any time soon, so I decided to send it to the next one without reading it. Even though reading the blurb and all the enthousiastic reviews I would really spend some time with this book.

CAUGHT IN HOOFDDORP

Journal Entry 6 by Erbie from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, July 07, 2004
Received this one today from ecritures (why, young lady, do you show up as an anonymous finder??)

I'm currently reading a Dutch ringbook, one more ringbook is after this one, before I'm starting Lucky. I'll get to it as quickly as I can!

November 8, 2004
A book that left me quite impressed... It's a very factually relayed story, that grips the reader. Fascinating read.

Sending it on to wollie...

Journal Entry 7 by wollie on Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Just received this one from Erbie. I've read the Lovely bones, and thought that was a wonderful book. Am eager to start this one!

Journal Entry 8 by wollie on Sunday, December 12, 2004
Wow, pretty intense and moving story. I know someone who has been raped, and didn't understand how this influenced her life, but this book gives such a articulate insight into Sebold's experiences, i feel like i understand it just a bit better.

Journal Entry 9 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, January 23, 2005
The sixth of what I believed to be six (but turned out to be five) bookringbooks I received at the bookcrossing meeting in Utrecht today. Thanks Wollie!

Journal Entry 10 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, January 30, 2005
Started reading today. I'll add a scan of the postcard Wollie put in this book for me (thanks). Will pm muizz.

Journal Entry 11 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, February 06, 2005
A gripping though factual true story about a rape victim. I couldn't believe how well Alice coped with her rape after the trial. I guess it didn't fully impact untill the same thing happened to Lila. I'm glad 'everything worked out' for Alice in the end.
The style of writing reminded me a lot of 'the lovely bones' which I read a while ago.
Sent another pm to muizz about how to get the book to her (meeting or mail).

Biba89 has offered to take the book to muizz from the meeting in Nijmegen one and a half week from now. Thanks biba89!

I'll give this book to biba89 today at the bookcrossingmeeting and she will pass it on to muizz (after reading it too ?). Thanks biba89! Happy reading to you and muizz :-)

Journal Entry 13 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, February 27, 2005
This will indeed be passed on to Muizz, but I will try, quickly, to read it first.
I have heard plenty enough about this book and I also tremendously enjoyed reading The Lovely Bones.

Journal Entry 14 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, March 17, 2005
Rape happens. And although i am not aware of it, I am sure I must know people who have been a victim of rape. This book made me understand a little bit more about what happens to them and what they have to deal with.
I am impressed by this book. Especially impressed how Alice Sebold wrote about her anger and her fear.
I will get this book to Muizz.

Finally! A hand-over opportunity offers itself. Muizz, here it is!

Journal Entry 16 by muizz from Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, April 16, 2005
Received it today from Biba89 at a small environment exhibition in the Utrecht library.

Journal Entry 17 by muizz from Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, July 22, 2005
This book has been on my Mount TBR for far too long, but I took it with me on short business trip and I finished it in three days.
The story Alice tells us is impressive. The way she copes with such a dramatic incident is admirable.
Good book, and I'm glad I've read it.

Journal Entry 18 by muizz from Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, August 13, 2005
And today the book will continue it's journey. Next one on the list: Maupi.

Journal Entry 19 by HHX-328595 on Tuesday, August 16, 2005
Kwam vandaag met de post. Dank je wel, muizz! En Fong voor de ring.

Journal Entry 20 by HHX-328595 on Tuesday, August 30, 2005
Nee, het wil nu niet met mij en dit boek. Te somber, het buitenboekenleven vergt al zo veel, kan het nu niet opbrengen. the-booklet reageert niet op m'n pm, ik vraag urpfi om haar adres en dan kan het boek naar Zwitserland.