Red Dwarf Omnibus

by Grant Naylor | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by bookguide of Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on 1/18/2020
Journal Entry 1 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, January 18, 2020
Not the omnibus, just the first book, based on the series.

Journal Entry 2 by bookguide at OBCZ-Westerpark in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, January 18, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (1/18/2020 UTC) at OBCZ-Westerpark in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

I can’t decide whether this deserves 6 or 7 stars. Its a definite 7-star book from the point of view of nostalgia and the parts I recognised from the show. I was rather confused at the start (Part One: Your own death, and how to cope with it) because I didn’t recognise the first section on Earth and Mimas. I was wondering if I’d missed the first episode way back when in the last century - ah, ha, ha - when it was first aired. But it seems that this was added to explain how the characters got on board Red Dwarf in the first place, so it’s not just that my memory has been corrupted. Part Two: Alone in a Godless universe, and out of Shake’n’Vac... was far more the zany humour I recall from the TV series and I can remember the set perfectly, even though it’s not particularly well described in the book. I’m pretty sure the book was aimed at people who were already fans, so it would have been a waste to put too much effort into that. I am reminded of specific episodes, but this is in no way a full retelling of the series.

Part One gives backstory and Part Three gives an intriguing twist to what happened next, a rather sad twist in fact. I have no idea if this was continued into the series. The book was published around series 3 and I know it continued long after we stopped watching for no particular reason. Apparently the last series was made in 2017, which is only two years ago, a fact which astounds me. I’ve heard of sad tabloid headlines of impropriety about Craig Charles in the past few years, all the sadder because he was such a lovable, though unbearably slobby, character in Red Dwarf. Chris Barrie was unbearable in this and continued his unbearable Rimmer personality in that sitcom set in a gym; the name escapes me. I was wondering about the Cat, Danny John-Jules. I saw him interviewed a few years ago when promoting something else, but I can’t forget he’s the Cat. He’s been in all sorts of things since, including Strictly Come Dancing in 2018 and has had his own tabloid scandals. My finger is definitely not on the pulse.
In any case, I much preferred the early series to the book and I have just realised that we have a box set of DVDs, presumably the first six series. What a great opportunity for my husband and I to introduce our children to this classic bit of British cultural history. I’d hoped to be able to recommend the book to my son as ‘as funny as Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams’ but while I think the television series was, the book isn’t. I also read another Goodreads review that commented that later editions of this book had removed the recurring comments about Kevin Keegan’s book ‘for legal reasons’. What a shame; that was one of the funnier jokes for those of us who remember Kevin Keegan back when he had footballing tips on the back of the Shreddies packet. There are a few other things that would make the next generation scratch their heads, but one thing there isn’t in the show and that’s racism; in a show with only 4 or 5 main characters, this one had two black characters. The love interest is attractive because she is witty and has a beautiful smile, the captain is a woman and another crew are predominately women, too, without being fantasy women. It is probably fortunate that Part Three wasn’t televised (as far as I know), as it would have completely ruined their PC street cred.
**********************************************************************

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before the end of the previous year. My reading goal is 36 books.

Journal Entry 3 by wing1972Galadrielwing at Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, January 20, 2020
meegenomen vd meeting