The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up

by Marie Kondo | Graphic Novels | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/11/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, January 11, 2020
I got this softcover at Barnes and Noble. It's a manga adaptation of Kondo's successful The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, which I found sometimes inspirational and often a bit too quirky. [Kondo is clearly much more invested in tidy underwear and logically-regimented handbags than I am!]

The manga version adds a viewpoint character, Tokyo gal Chiaki, whose messy apartment seems to echo her scattered love-life. The decluttering steps from Kondo's book are presented here in abridged form, and while Chiaki has some trouble getting started, she soon embraces the concepts - and it doesn't hurt that her handsome neighbor seems impressed by her efforts...

Things I like about Kondo's methods: the emphasis on imagining the life you want to live before beginning to declutter; the concept of making it easier to let go of things by giving thanks for their service, whether it was as a long-beloved but no-longer-interesting work of art/piece of clothing/etc. or as an unwanted or ill-chosen item that just never worked out.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, S Main St in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, January 23, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (1/23/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, S Main St in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this handsome Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Clean Start for the New Year release challenge. ***