Here Be Dragons

by Stella Gibbons | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingTanamowing of Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 1/3/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingTanamowing from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, January 03, 2020
When Nell Sely moves from sleepy Dorset to Hampstead she leaves behind a childhood of dull teas and oppressive rules for the freedom of the big city. Naieve and only nineteen, she becomes romantically inclined with the wayward John Gaunt and falls in with London's Bohemian crowd. In this city of seductive, shifting morals, smoke-filled jazz clubs and glamorous expresso bars, Nell must master her new-found independence and learn to strike her own course.

Journal Entry 2 by wingTanamowing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 01, 2020
Enjoyed this book which gives a compelling picture of times gone by, the class system and the poverty, genteel or otherwise, of many of the people. However, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as "Starlight". I think maybe this is because I'm a crime fan and there was more a sense of underlying menace in that book than this one.