The Winter Palace

by Eva Stachniak | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by sing-song of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 12/16/2019
Journal Entry 1 by sing-song from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, December 16, 2019
From award-winning author Eva Stachniak comes this passionate novel that illuminates, as only fiction can, the early life of one of history’s boldest women. The Winter Palace tells the epic story of Catherine the Great’s improbable rise to power—as seen through the ever-watchful eyes of an all-but-invisible servant close to the throne.

Her name is Barbara—in Russian, Varvara. Nimble-witted and attentive, she’s allowed into the employ of the Empress Elizabeth, amid the glitter and cruelty of the world’s most eminent court. Under the tutelage of Count Bestuzhev, Chancellor and spymaster, Varvara will be educated in skills from lock picking to lovemaking, learning above all else to listen—and to wait for opportunity. That opportunity arrives in a slender young princess from Zerbst named Sophie, a playful teenager destined to become the indomitable Catherine the Great. Sophie’s destiny at court is to marry the Empress’s nephew, but she has other, loftier, more dangerous ambitions, and she proves to be more guileful than she first appears.

What Sophie needs is an insider at court, a loyal pair of eyes and ears who knows the traps, the conspiracies, and the treacheries that surround her. Varvara will become Sophie’s confidante—and together the two young women will rise to the pinnacle of absolute power.

With dazzling details and intense drama, Eva Stachniak depicts Varvara’s secret alliance with Catherine as the princess grows into a legend—through an enforced marriage, illicit seductions, and, at last, the shocking coup to assume the throne of all of Russia.
My husband and daughter have now read this book, so it is back to me to register it. It will be on my holiday reading list.

Journal Entry 2 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 13, 2020
I read an e version fo this so I could take it on vacation. The trip to Hawaii went very fast. I was totally engrossed. Know why my husband enjoyed it so much. Politics, intrigue, Russian culture, where Catherine The Great came from and how she ended up where she was.

Journal Entry 3 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 07, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (2/8/2020 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the February meetup at Cravings to pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 4 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 08, 2020
Picked up at today’s Calgary bookcrossing meetup. I think I’ve wanted to read this for a while but I don’t remember...

Journal Entry 5 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 07, 2020
I knew I had read this before but even though I didn’t remember any details, I remember loving it so much I had to read it again. The story of Catherine’s rise told from the point of view of a palace spy - so unique and believable! It kept so close to history I ended up wiki-ing all the characters afterwards and learning more about Russian history than I probably did in jr high.

Will be brought back to Calgary bookcrossing whenever mass gatherings are allowed again.

Journal Entry 6 by Mateya_Foster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, October 06, 2020
Caught through local circulating bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by Mateya_Foster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 14, 2021
Historical read from the perspective of a woman in service to an empress. Enjoyed it but a little dry and low on action

Journal Entry 8 by Mateya_Foster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 20, 2021

Released 1 wk ago (2/20/2021 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released in local circulating book box #2

Journal Entry 9 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, February 23, 2021
Taken from book box 2