Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland

Yours always
by Sally M. Walker | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/11/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 11, 2020
I got this hardcover at a local Savers thrift shop. I've long been fascinated with forensic anthropology, and have read other books about the work of the Smithsonians' Dr. Douglas Owsley. This one is somewhat simplified for younger readers, but contains plenty of intriguing facts and photos for older readers as well. It deals with the examination of human remains from the days of the colonization of Jamestown, and includes the excavations, the history (as much as could be learned), and in some cases the likely lifestyle of each of the people. Some are pretty bleak - one was apparently a young indentured servant who may have been bludgeoned to death by his own master and was found buried in a trash pit in the cellar of an old house...

I liked the multi-disciplinary researches here, and the many photos and sketches illustrating each dig. Good book!

Released 1 mo ago (3/1/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Candlewick Close St. in Lexington, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in a new-to-me Little Free Library while visiting LFLs in Lexington and Arlington; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Heads Shoulders Knees Toes challenge. ***