Smile

He spent his time reading
by Raina Telgemeier | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 9780545132060 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/21/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 21, 2020
I got this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, for another release copy. (I also adored Telgemeier's Drama!)

This book was not what I expected at all from the cover. I'd assumed it was about a typical trouble-with-braces situation, which is traumatic enough, but poor Telgemeier suffered serious dental damage even before she was due to get braces, and had to undergo quite a few rounds of dental surgery, with the eventual braces being yet another stop on a harrowing journey.

And as if that weren't enough, she has to go through all the other perils of growing up, from self-image worries to gaining and losing friends, to coping with family members (and the occasional earthquake). Oh yeah, and first love... heck, this book should make anyone glad they don't have to go through their teen years again {wry grin}.

The story's much more of an autobiography than I'd expected, too, and it shows Telgemeier's early love of drawing - and eventual use of cartoons to help her get past some of the more painful incidents. I liked the way she took charge of her own life, and the emotional struggles she went through beforehand - it's easy to say that we shouldn't worry about what others think of us, but it's a lot harder to live that way.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Released 3 wks ago (1/22/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library inside the mall; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Clean Start for the New Year release challenge. ***