Never Home Alone: From Microbes to Millipedes, Camel Crickets, and Honeybees, the Natural History of Where We Live

Put on the kettle & read!
by Rob Dunn | Science |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/28/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 28, 2020
I got this softcover at Barnes and Noble; it's about the range of living things that share our homes with us - for better or worse! It includes the history of microscopy, which introduced the world to the invisible-to-the-naked-eye creatures that inhabit water, food, even our very eyelashes. There are examinations of the ways in which changes in human society and lifestyles have encouraged some lifeforms while discouraging others - not always to our benefit. Creatures that spread disease contrast with those that have benign interactions with humans - and the peril of attempting to have too sterile an environment comes up more than once. From insects to staph infections to the yeasts that ferment our foods, there's a lot to cover here, often quite eye-opening.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Pleasant St. in Westford, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, September 27, 2020

Released 3 wks ago (9/27/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, Pleasant St. in Westford, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library, while noticing how the foliage is beginning to take on autumn colors. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 September Sapphire challenge. ***