Rutabaga the Adventure Chef, Vol. 1

Adventure awaits!
by Eric Colossal | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 9781419715976 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/25/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, January 25, 2020
I got this softcover from an online seller, amused by the title - and the mix of D&D-type adventure and meal preparation. It's a very amusing tale set in a fantasy world, with protagonist Rutabaga trying to make his way despite angry dragons, reluctant traveling companions, and often-dangerous trials. The book does feature recipes, but most of them require fantasy-world components (though one might be able to guess at reasonable real-world substitutes), but the main fun is in seeing how Rutabaga's overwhelming interest in "can I cook it?" plays with the very different goals of the adventurers he meets.

The final chapter in this book has Rutabaga joining up with three large Norse-type warriors as they seek a very dangerous and monstrous carnivore. Rutabaga promises to stay out of the way during the actual battle, but accidentally gets his magical cooking pot into play - luckily, it works out pretty well. (The reason for the quest is a surprisingly dark one given the usually-humorous tone of the story.) There's a fun bit here in which Rutabaga ignores the advice to offer the best part of each meal to the warriors' patron deity, and eats it himself; when the deity shows up, he finds a rather squicky method of getting hold of the tasty dish - and Rutabaga learns an important lesson!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Showcase Cinemas, 32 Reiss Ave in Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Monday, February 24, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/24/2020 UTC) at Showcase Cinemas, 32 Reiss Ave in Lowell, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book on a window ledge or light pole outside the movie theater; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Becky's Hugs challenge, in memory of Becky Johns. ***

*** Released for the 2020 Wine+Food challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by ModRobaz at Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, February 25, 2020
My dad wanted to see the movie 1917, but we've been busy for a few weeks. Thankfully, the movie is still in theaters, mainly due in part to it's Oscar win in Sound Design, so we decided to go tonight at the 650 showing. I've already seen the film before on opening weekend, but it's a movie I didn't mind seeing twice. As we left the practically vacant theater and into the similarly vacant parking lot, something caught my eye. Sitting on the cement foundation of a lamp post was this book with the little note on it. Pretty neat, I thought, so I took it.

I'll read through it despite it being what I think is a children's comic book, but that's fine, no problemo. I'm going to plan on leaving it somewhere in Boston this weekend when I go to PAX East. Maybe someone from another state might happen upon it and bring it somewhere? Who knows. Either way, this little book is going to the center of the Spirit of America.