My Fair Lazy

Yours always
by Jen Lancaster | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/14/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 14, 2020
I got this hardcover from Better World Books, intrigued by the author's "reality TV addict" theme. Turns out the book's hilarious, with so many laugh-out-loud bits that I gave up on marking them all. Granted, Jen lives a lifestyle that in many ways sounds alien to me, and that apparently has had dramatic ups and downs; her previous books cover parts of her life such as major struggling after the dot-com collapse put her and her husband out of work, or her attempts to lose weight. (She refers to those times in this book, but it sounds as if she and her husband have landed on their feet and are doing much better now, financially and healthwise.)

The focus here is on her hopes of becoming more "cultured" - and of finding a way to restrain her tendency to start running off at the mouth whenever in the presence of celebrities. (Some of those incidents were hilarious from the reader's point of view, but must have been squirm-inducing in person - for all parties!) Her heart seems to be in the right place, though she has some epiphanies regarding her tendency to disparage in others what she needs to correct in herself, a failing I suspect most of us share to some degree. But she describes her challenges, successes, and setbacks in such a humorous way that I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Oh, and that reality-TV addiction? Yeah, she does seem to have to watch ALL of it, including a few shows that I like and many, many, many that I do not. Her comments on that are pretty funny too, not least when she encounters a reality-TV celebrity and has to battle that tendency to babble.

Among the many bits I flagged as quotable is this one, about her experience with a rodent infestation; after putting a layer of flour out in the kitchen in hopes of seeing rat-tracks to prove to her noncommittal husband that the rats really did exist, she notes several results, starting with the lack of actual rat-footprints (though rat-tail-dragging prints did show up). But while the rats' feet didn't make prints, the cats' feet did: "Would you like a detailed account of every place each of my extraordinarily busy cats walked the night of the experiment? Because I can give you one." Also: "Stupid pit bulls named Maisy believe raw flour is the most delicious treat imaginable and will lap that shit up until the combination of flour and saliva glues her jaw shut." And then: "Flour, particularly when combined with pit bull saliva, will never, ever completely come out of hardwood. Or leather. Or wool." {snerk!}

She's also good with snarky footnotes, including a running series themed on the way many of the celebrities she cites have dropped dead: "Also, can everyone good please stop dying while I write this book? Thanks."

The meat of the book involves her attempts to visit the many marvelous cultural spots in Chicago, a goal that I envy - and that she starts in on with some reluctance. But she does seem to enjoy many of these new experiences, and even the ones that don't impress her as much do provide fodder for her book. Her enthusiasm jumps easily from the reality shows to live theater, and while she isn't keen on some of the more exotic haute cuisine she does discover a new fondness for several types of food she hadn't ventured upon before.

Her descriptions of ventures into high living include a stay at the Four Seasons, which she adores for its flawless customer care and amenities, but she can't leave it at that; an attempt to adjust the room's complicated mood-lighting to her own satisfaction results in a cascade of errors that end with "and this is how I set the curtain on fire". (Just a small hole, mind; she doesn't - quite - burn the hotel down!)

I appreciate her comments on her newly acquired knowledge and experiences, whether she's noticing how different a classic novel can seem when read by an adult rather than a reluctant teen, or giggling with her husband over the plethora of molecular-gastronomy courses at Moto. (The latter included a course consisting of what looked like "a half-smoked cigar served in a dirty metal ashtray" - a Cuban sandwich in cigar-shape, with crushed-mustard-seed ashes. Yes, she does - eventually - try it, concluding that this meal is art "and now I am going to eat some damn art." [She doesn't comment on the flavor {wry grin}, but adds "maybe I had my eyes closed, but it still totally counts."]

So many other fun bits here, including the three feral kittens she adopts and promptly dubs the Thundercats for their high activity-and-destruction level. (I promptly dubbed my own twin imps "Thundercats" too, for the sounds they make zooming around the house.)

After enjoying this book so much I want to read more of the author's work.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 03, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (2/3/2020 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer dvg for the US/Canada wishlist-tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by dvg at Toms River, New Jersey USA on Friday, February 07, 2020
Thank you so much for tagging me with this wishlist book. I love reading Jen Lancaster! OMG I usually laugh so much. I can't wait to dive into this one. Happy dance and hugs!

Journal Entry 4 by dvg at BC friend, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 08, 2020

Released 4 mos ago (10/9/2020 UTC) at BC friend, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Everytime I read one of Jen's books, I laugh out loud. This was no exception, I needed to laugh so much I read this in one day. (It just took me a while to journal it.) I enjoyed her cultural outings with her friend Stacey; the flour and the pets; the Thundercats; and how she babbled amongst celebrities! She sounds like such a fun person in all her books and I hate to give away too much of it, because right now we all need a laugh.

Sending to JennyC1230 for her enjoyment!
Happy Reading and Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, October 13, 2020
Thank you DVG! I love Jen Lancaster and I know I will enjoy this book, she is one of my favorite humor authors. I have some books I want to send you. Thanks for the wishlist book!

Journal Entry 6 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, November 21, 2020
My Review: The thing I love about Jen Lancaster is she knows who she is and she is unapologetic about it. She writes a funny book, too. I like that she fights to put herself out there and try new things, it usually ends up as a funny part of her current book. I loved the parts where she is trying new foods, I tend to just stick with what I like and not try new things, so I could definitely relate.

Offered this wishlist book to another bookcrosser, I have their address & I am sending this to her soon.

Journal Entry 7 by JennyC1230 at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, December 12, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (12/14/2020 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Mailing this wishlist book to Nimrodiel. Enjoy the book!

Update: 1/24/21 - I mailed this book to Nimrodiel 6 weeks ago, 2 weeks before Christmas, it's probably lost in the mail since it hasn't made it there yet.