Must I Go Down to Sea Again?

by Lesley Black | Outdoors & Nature |
ISBN: 071364060X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingkirjakkowing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 12/7/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingkirjakkowing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, December 07, 2019
I bought this years ago from my favourite SH-bookshop in Notting Hill Gate, London, having just returned from my first sailing adventure in the Hebrides. That was really a once in a lifetime trip, both money- and experience-wise. A year before I had been hospitalised with Guillan-Barre syndrome and when waiting how badly the disease would hit my nervous system (I had a total facial paralysis and needles and pins going down my arms and legs) and how well I would recover, I dwelled in self-pity and thought of all the things I never did. One which was a huge regret was that I never went to the Hebrides to see whales (there had been a tempting ad in the British Veterinary Nursing Journal) and I vowed that if I recover (there was a risk of becoming quadriplegic!) I will travel there, even if I had to rob a bank! I did recover and was able to take the trip without getting a criminal record. And it was such a great trip, their first in the season, so we sailed the boat up from Penzance and then spent a week in the Hebrides (ten days altogether). I must have missed something in small print as it came to me as a surprise that I shared my cabin with seven men! Could have paid even more for that, male- and whale-watching! Who says Brits are conservative? The scenery is beautiful up there, we went shopping only once (in Tobermory) and apart from that saw other vessels only from a distance. The rest of the world disappeared from my mind completely. It was before mobile phones and they would not have worked there even if I had had one. We saw dolphins, porpoises, minke whales, otters, seals, foxes, deer and a myriad of sea birds. Puffins became my great favourites.
So, I found this little book and enjoyed it. I am re-reading it now and remember our way up on the Irish Sea, where the weather was rather ruff and three out of seven of my cabin mates were sick as dogs, vomiting and not being able to come up to the deck. I thought something ought to be done and found homeopathic Nux vomica pills from my first aid kit. I had never tried them, but said with great authority that I am a veterinary nurse and this is the best medicine there is against sea-sickness. Lo and behold, they all recovered in no time having taken the little pills.
Since then I haven't sailed on that small a boat, but have been on cruises great and small. It is an easy way to travel as you don't have to drag your suitcase around, but you still get a change of scenery.
As time is running out, I will just let the book continue its journey without reading it from cover to cover.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkirjakkowing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 09, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (12/9/2019 UTC) at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Merry Christmas from your Secret Santa!

Journal Entry 3 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 25, 2019
Thank you thank you Santa. This looks really interesting and I don't think it will take me too long to get round to it. I'm currently in the middle of my almost annual re-read of one of my all time favourite books, Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men In A Boat", and it will be interesting to go from river to sea, and from Victorian man's point of view to a 20th century woman's.

Thanks also for the Schulz book which has brought a smile to to both my face and MrsDeltic's! Can I have a BCID for it please because with all your veterinary and ambassadorial duties you have forgotten to include it.

P. S. I love the postcard too and Merry Christmas ��

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 15, 2020
I enjoyed this book, even though at the beginning I could have cheerfully tied a cannonball to the "skipper's" feet and sent him overboard to Davy Jones. There was one amusing incident I remember, when one skipper's wife complained about a group of sailors having a party and popping champagne corks early in the morning. Unbeknownst to her they have just completed a round the world yacht race! I'm now going to attempt to get MrsDeltic to read this.

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Journal Entry 6 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 24, 2020
On the way to a mutual bookcrossing friend.

Journal Entry 7 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Released 1 wk ago (6/24/2020 UTC) at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

You'll either love this or hate it! Hopefully the former!

Journal Entry 8 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 26, 2020
Thank you, Deltic, for a very welcome package that the postman delivered this morning, full of surprise books and stuff, much appreciated. I've been reading more than ever during lockdown and my to be read piles have been decreasing at an alarming rate. I'm delighted that kind and helpful BookCrossing friends have been restocking them for me . . .
This looks like fun, although sailing/messing about in boats has never appealed as a pastime :-)

Journal Entry 9 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 27, 2020
I was impressed by Mike Peyton's charming and amusing illustrations, they convey so much with just a few lines, but I didn't really find anything I could relate to in the text. No, a life on the ocean wave's not for me . . .
Thanks, anyway!