The Portobello Road and Other Stories

by Muriel Spark | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lils74 of Kathmandu, Bagmati (incl. Kathmandu Valley) Nepal on 12/6/2019
Journal Entry 1 by lils74 from Kathmandu, Bagmati (incl. Kathmandu Valley) Nepal on Friday, December 06, 2019
Got this while visiting my sister in the US this summer, I think from her library's sale shelves. I was amused to note that it cost more (in USD) than the 60 p UK price tag, though not by much.

Have read the first eponymous story, and found it sort of creepily fascinating, certainly very well written. Will update when I've finished it.

[Reserved for Cordelia-anne]

Journal Entry 2 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati (incl. Kathmandu Valley) Nepal on Friday, March 27, 2020
Completed this today - fascinating little book of short stories, begun last year.
Very interestingly written, often dark. Contrary to what you’d think from the very British title, most stories are linked to Africa, except for the last, which is set in Italy. I wonder if the author lived in Africa? She must have. This is my first book of hers. I’m kind of in awe of her thought processes and will probably keep an eye out for more of her work.

As noted above, this is reserved for Cordelia-anne, though it will have to wait till Nepal's lockdown lifts.