The Girls of Murder City

by Douglas Perry | History |
ISBN: 0670021970 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingSparkishwing of Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 12/3/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSparkishwing from Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 03, 2019
With a thrilling, fast-paced narrative, award-winning journalist Douglas Perry vividly captures the sensationalized circus atmosphere that gave rise to the concept of the celebrity criminal- and gave Chicago its most famous story. The Girls of Murder City recounts two scandalous, sex-fueled murder cases and how an intrepid "girl reporter" named Maurine Watkins turned the beautiful, media-savvy suspects-"Stylish Belva" and "Beautiful Beulah"-into the talk of the town. Fueled by rich period detail and a cast of characters who seemed destined for the stage, The Girls of Murder City is a crackling tale that simultaneously presents the freewheeling spirit of the Jazz Age and its sober repercussions.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSparkishwing at Leicester Grammar School in Great Glen, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (12/4/2019 UTC) at Leicester Grammar School in Great Glen, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Donated to be sold at the Christmas Fayre. If it doesn't find a new home it will come back with me.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 02, 2020
Not sold. To be released elsewhere.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Released 5 mos ago (3/3/2020 UTC) at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Heading over to Greece as part of Greenbadgers monthly giveaway. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Monday, March 09, 2020
The Girls of Murder City arrived safely in Delphi today.
Thank you very much for your generosity Sparkish!

Journal Entry 6 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Tuesday, June 16, 2020
I found this book quite interesting, especially given the fact that I rarely watch theater plays or movies and I've heard of Chicago but never watched any adaptation or knew what exactly it is about.

The author's description of the ambiance on the newspapers', jails, court rooms and up to an extend the whole Chicago city on the 1920s was very decent, while the two central stories around two murderesses were interesting. Of course here comes the usual issue with non-fiction books: It's difficult to know how precise is the author's take on things, not so much due to lack of research or intenionally muddling the waters, but because bias come into play and the interpretation of events, situations and personalities can never be completely objective.

I think that Douglas Perry researched a lot on his subject, but sometimes the narration was a bit off. There are many backs and forths in time and mentioning of irrelevant people that confuse a reader. For example there might be a name thrown there among the residents of the county jail, who at the time interacted so and so with the main protagonists of the story, but explanation for who this person is might come many chapters latter and not very analytically either. Even the life stories of the main characters feature many gaps.

I found two large flaws to the book: Too little info on persons who are supposed to matter and too much rambling on persons and incidents that are supposed not to matter. If the author's focus is the Chicago play, he should have been much more detailed on the life story and personality of its writter, Maurine Watkins. Information on her past before arriving to Chicago is epigrammatic, her life style outside her work while in Chicago is not clear, while towards the final chapters of the book, the descriptions of her life after writting the play and gaining fame are too eliptical too. On the other hand, the author doesn't focus his narration on the incidents and people who inspired the play, but strays to other stories and irrelevant stuff too. Personally I found these references interesting, but the author had either to omit these all together, either to write about them in full details (other suspect murderesses' life stories, other murder cases, reporters crossing paths with Maurine at the time etc)

All in all, an interesting book due to subject matter, but the writing style didn't make it justice on my opinion.

Journal Entry 7 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, June 21, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (6/20/2020 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

This book now continues its travels to Spain. And then... who knows?

Good Luck little book and Don't forget to write your news from time to time!

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, July 22, 2020
And this WishList book is here!
Thanks for granting this wish, Delphi-Reader, I have been interested in this book since I read that "Chicago" was based on it. I have seen the play when I lived in London, in the West End version with Ruthie Henshall and Ute Lemper... and Sacha Distel as Billy Flynn. The movie was fine, though it lacked the great choreography by Bob Fosse.
Looking forward to reading this one! :)