The Boys in the Boat

by Daniel James Brown | History |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/26/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, November 26, 2019
I found this softcover in this Little Free Library in Concord, NH while dropping off some books of my own, and nabbed it for another release copy.

It's about the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, focusing on nine working-class young men from the American midwest who made the rowing team.

I've read a lot about Jesse Owens and his heroics at those Games, but had not heard of the rowing team before, so I found the whole story quite riveting. The details of daily life for these young men in the '20s and '30s, the difficulties of training and travel - and funding, and the near-lyrical descriptions of the sport itself and the challenges it presents, both for individual athleticism and for the essential teamwork, kept me captivated throughout. And their confrontation with the German hosts of the Olympic Games - complete with a degree of "make it pretty" that reminded me all too much of more recent Games - highlighted the political strain.

Overall, this is a thrilling and dramatic story, showing athletes at their best - and the country at one of its crucial turning points. Recommended!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, November 29, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (11/29/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this chilly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 The The Release Challenge. ***