Meeting Mr Kim ; Or how I Went to Korea and Learned to Love Kimchi

by Jennifer Barclay | Travel | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingAnneliswing of Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 11/25/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, November 25, 2019
288 pages

The world knows more about secret North Korea than the free society of the South. As a peace summit heralded a new era for a country divided for 50 years, Jennifer Barclay searched for the spirit of South Korea, discovering a land full of passion, tradition and spirituality, good humor, and great food. Jen quit her high-pressure job and followed her musician boyfriend to South Korea, where his band had a contract to play funk at a luxury hotel. But life in Seoul was lonely and bewildering. Desperate to connect with Korean life and the people, she said goodbye to the capital and set off alone to explore the country. With patience and determination she found her way to ancient tombs and Buddhist temples, strangers' homes and forest-covered mountains, where people's kindness and pride in their culture began to work magic. They were on a mission to ensure she left with happy memories—and perhaps a new set of values.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, December 25, 2019
Kirja Etelä-Koreasta on mielenkiintoinen, vaikka vähän pitkäveteinen.
The book is interesting even if it is a little bit boring. I knew really nothing about South Korea. That's why I liked the book. There was a piece of history at the beginnig of the chapters.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnneliswing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 22, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/22/2020 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I'll take the book to the meet-up today.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, February 23, 2020
Took home from the meet-up, thank you annelis! There are plenty of books about travelling/living in India, Japan or China, but can't recall ever coming across one about Korea. I once spent a couple of weeks there so let's see if I find familiar places.