Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork

by Johnnie Mountain | Cooking, Food & Wine |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/23/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 23, 2019
I found this hardcover on the book-swap shelf in the Tyngsboro MA post office lobby while dropping off some books of my own. It features delectable pork-based recipes, from the fairly simple - Bubble and Squeak with Dry-cured Bacon, for example - to more unexpected ones, such as Goose Fat Potted Pork. [This is something along the lines of the French-Canadian cretons.] I appreciated such recipes as the eight-hour roasted shoulder of pork, having enjoyed an amazingly delicious slow-cooked pork shoulder at a wine dinner at the Bedford Village Inn; I suspect that the home-made version wouldn't be quite as good, but it's still worth the effort.

And the recipe that really caught my attention: Confit of Pork Belly! I'm fond of other confit recipes, usually of duck or goose (though I did do a confit of turkey a few times), and the tender slow-cooked meat imbued with the cooking fat and herbs is soooo good! But I hadn't thought of trying it with pork belly, and now I'm wondering if that's how a favorite local restaurant prepared theirs...

Released 1 mo ago (3/5/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Broadway and Messer Ave in Methuen, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library near the community gardens by the church; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Wine+Food challenge. ***