Unbroken

by Laura Hillenbrand | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 11/24/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, November 24, 2019
I bought this book at the new Friends of the Library book store in Rockville, Maryland, to use for the BookCrossing annual First Line Game.

I read another copy of this book in 2015. This is what I wrote after I read it...

This book is phenomenal on so many levels. For me, it was most important in teaching me how the Pacific theater was just as important a part of Word War II as was Europe. It educated me and astounded me regarding the cruelty that man is capable of perpetrating upon others.

Oddly, it led me to the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, Virginia, because I wanted to see the airplanes that were described in this biography. At the museum, I did not see the B-24 nor the B-28 described in this book, but I did see the Enola Gay, the B-29 which dropped the nuclear bomb on Hiroshima. I sit back and recoil in horror thinking about my family who burned in the crematoria of Auschwitz, but now I am also mortified at the cruelty of the Japanese to our American prisoners of war and to what lengths Americans went to stop the war.

I was thoroughly amazed at Louis Zamperini. I simply cannot understand how he survived all that he did and continued to still be active and happy well into his nineties. He died of pneumonia at age 97. His story was tremendously inspirational.

I am impressed with Laura Hillenbrand's ability to tell a compelling story. She writes with a flair for imparting knowledge and curiosity to her readers. I cannot wait to see what subject she picks for her next book because I also found her book Seabiscuit truly fascinating.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (12/22/2019 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

I'm releasing this book at the home of BookCrosser authorauthor during our annual Holiday Party. This book is part of the First Line Game. Its first line is..

All he could see, in every direction, was water.

----------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by krin511 at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Monday, December 23, 2019
I got this book in the annual BCinDC First Line Game! I look forward to reading it someday.