The Eerie Book: Tales of the Macabre and Supernatural

by Margaret Armour | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/20/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 20, 2019
I've had this hardcover, with its evocative illustrations by W. B. MacDougall, on my keeper shelves for ages, and I think it's time it went traveling. It includes classic tales - with some excerpts and abridgments, which I found disappointing, though perhaps those samples will induce readers to hunt up the full-length works.

Among my favorites:

Poe's "Masque of the Red Death," a favorite of mine both in itself and in the 1964 film adaptation (which expanded on the story quite a bit, but did so in a way I quite liked).

Then there's "The Iron Coffin" by George W. M. Reynolds, an excerpt from his book Faust but one that stands alone well, and that's absolutely horrific.

And another Poe entry, "The Cask of Amontillado," a perfect little gem of icy vengeance.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 25, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (11/25/2019 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Halloween bookbox, which will be on its way again soon. Hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2019 The The Release Challenge. ***