Lost Moon

by Jim Lovell, Jeffrey Kluger | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 11/20/2019
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, November 20, 2019
This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Subtitle: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13

Hardcover with dust jacket from the Holy Nativity Thrift Shop on the day of their fall festival.

TBR, but reserved for a wishlist tag.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, December 03, 2019
Building on what I said in the November readathon thread:

Fascinating. Sucks you right in by starting with the Apollo 13 mission already in trouble, then goes back to the horrific Apollo 1 tragedy. After listening to the audiobook "The Man Who Knew the Way to the Moon" - which posits that Kennedy's mandate led to the choice of lunar orbit rendezvous over a more gradual and perhaps more sustainable approach - I found myself wondering what would have happened to the moon program after Apollo 1 without Kennedy's "end of the decade" push. Would there have been too much of an outcry for Apollo to continue?

On the other hand, if we'd had orbiting platforms to fall back on then, Apollo 13's plight might have been less acute...and maybe by now we'd have already sent a human to Mars.

Still..this is a great account of people overcoming a crisis. I was paying no attention at all to national news in 1970, but if I'd been born 10 years earlier I would've been riveted by the story while it was happening. After all, the returning crew came to Hawaii!

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, December 05, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (12/4/2019 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Wednesday, December 04, 2019: headed to New Hampshire as a wishlist tag.

USPS tracking 9549 0104 3303 9338 8421 29
ETA 12/26/19

Released for Secretariat's 2019 NJABBIC challenge (week 48: author names with embedded nouns).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book! Won't you make a journal entry so the previous readers know that it's safe with you?

This is now your book, for you to do with as you please: keep it as long as you wish, pass it to a friend, or maybe even leave it where someone else can find it!

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, January 03, 2020
The wishlist book arrived safely today; many thanks! Looking forward to reading this one!

Later: I thoroughly enjoyed this, and found myself riveted even during the more math-and-science segments - with much awe at how the astronauts and ground support teams were able to do such detailed computations more or less on the fly; today's typical smartphone has more compute-power than the entire space program at the time, and there are probably TV remote controls with more power than the on-board computer had!

The mix of human stories - the astronauts' backgrounds, families, pre-NASA careers - and the ups and downs of the space race were equally interesting, and while I knew a fair amount about Apollo 13 I found the storytelling compelling. And I learned some things; the excellent film had to make some edits and condensations for dramatic purposes, but the actual story managed to include even more tension, at least in my opinion.

I appreciated the details of the tragedies, too, from the fire in Apollo 1 to the deaths of other astronauts in test-flight accidents - those last weren't as well-known as they didn't occur in space or even in rockets, but were also a part of the price paid to get to the moon...

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, S Main St in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, January 23, 2020

Released 8 mos ago (1/23/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, S Main St in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this handsome Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Asian Zodiac/Year of the Rat Release Challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2020 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 6 by 1_hoopy_frood at Bradford, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, February 23, 2020
I picked the book up at the Little Free Library in front of the Cogswell School on Feb 8th. I was about to leave with a different book when the title Lost Moon on the spine caught my eye. I was attending Cogswell when Apollo 13 took place and I remember our class was brought into one of the other classrooms in the school to watch the splashdown on tv.
I enjoyed the movie with Tom Hanks, and since books are almost always better than the movies based on them I had to read this book, which did not disappoint.