The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears

by Dinaw Mengestu | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 11/23/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 23, 2019
I bought this book at the New Friends of the Library book store in Wheaton, Maryland, to use for the BookCrossing annual First Line Game.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 23, 2019
I read another copy of this book in 2018, and loved it. This is what I wrote about it after I finished it...

I liked this story very, very much despite the fact that it felt deeply sad to me. It’s the story of Sepha Stephanos, an Ethiopian immigrant who now lives in a small apartment on Logan Circle in Washington D.C. and there runs a small convenience store. His new neighbor is Judith, a white woman, mother of Naomi, her biracial daughter. The mom moves into a newly restored house also on Logan Circle. A friendship of sorts develops between Sepha and Naomi because she loves to visit his store and read with him.

I found this author’s writing deeply moving and very sensitively written. I fell in love with its setting (warts and all, due to gentrification) because I really love living in the Washington, DC. area, and find it fun to read about places I know fairly well. In one part of the story, the author describes the feeling of powerlessness and sadness when a familiar old neighborhood undergoes sudden, drastic change due to needs of the more affluent members of the community. I empathize with his concerns.

While reading this book, I felt the need to learn more about Ethiopian immigrant communities in the United States. I discovered that the largest Ethiopian community in the United States is located in my own county within Maryland. I love when fiction has this impact on me!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (12/22/2019 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

I'm releasing this book at the home of BookCrosser authorauthor during our annual Holiday Party. This book is part of the First Line Game. Its first line is..

At eight o’clock Joseph and Kenneth come into the store.

----------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, January 24, 2020
I got this one at the Bookcrossing holiday party.