Irish Myths and Legends

by Michael Scott | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingDelphi_Readerwing of Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on 11/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingDelphi_Readerwing from Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Sunday, November 17, 2019
This book starts its journey with BookCrossing from Delphi, Greece
______________________________________________________

" From the epic Irish legend of Cuchulain to tales of banshees. Leprechauns and wizards these short stories and fables cover a wide range of Ireland's mythology and legends. Forming a companion volume to Michael Scott's Irish Folk and Fairy Tales. "

~~~~~~To the person who found this book:~~~~~~

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. Drop a few lines on where and how you found this book and what you thought of it. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, I encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.

This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, although I would love you to read and then share it. You can pass it on someone you know or release it once again in the wild, leaving it on a park bench, a phone booth, a hostel lobby...wherever you think it's suitable for the book to continue it's journey. If you pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Saturday, June 20, 2020
Well, sometimes our “relations” with books is something very personal. My “relationship” with this book and two others of Michael Scott (they serve as an informal trilogy on Irish Mythology, Folklore and Legends) is a very special one, because I first read them once upon a time, while been in Ireland my shelf.

I've read them all many times during the year and it was a pleasure to delve into this book once again!

The way the author narrates and reforms well-known old myths and stories and unites older with more recent times and beliefs, is on my opinion amazing. He creates a bittersweet ambience and provokes lots of feelings, even if the reader is the most realistic and romantic-less person. Michael Scott has written many other fantasy books and series (which I haven’t read) and successfully manages to draw the reader inside the world he builds every time. He has make research and collected many stories on the spot, yet he doesn’t constrict his writing on a dry transcribing, like unfortunately many other folklorists do. On the contrary, he brings to life his stories, continuing the long tradition of story tellers/bards of his country.

A good part of this book focus on Cuchulain's circle of mythology, while there are many re-tellings of other legends and folklore stories spreading on many different centuries/eras.

My review/rating is a very personal one I guess, but in general I think that this is an interesting and easy book.