Three Complete Novels: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Emma

by Jane Austen | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781566194457 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, November 17, 2019
This hefty hardcover was among the unregistered books at today's BookCrossing meetup in Porter Square - I think this one came from Josh. I love all of Austen's work, and this omnibus edition includes three of her best-loved novels:

Sense and Sensibility is perhaps my second-favorite of Austen's works, after Persuasion, and running a close neck-and-neck with Pride and Prejudice. (I think it's the "Colonel Brandon" subplot that helped boost my interest in this one, especially regarding the briefly-mentioned reference to his duel with the infamous Willoughby {wry grin}.)

The many wonderful conversations, the excruciating torment of poor Eleanor by the sweetly-malevolent Lucy Steele, the variety of characters - including some who triumph over poor first impressions to prove they're made of better stuff than we thought... it all combines to tell a delightful story.

I enjoyed the 1995 film adaptation very much and have also enjoyed other adaptations. One of the mini-series versions even included that duel!

Pride and Prejudice: I first read this one while I was in school, though I don't remember if it was assigned reading or not. In any case, I enjoyed it, but I've been amused to discover as the years pass that, while the book remains a favorite, the aspects of it that I like most change over time. It's still wonderfully funny, but I can also see more of the quiet desperation that lurks behind the draperies... There have been a number of screen adaptations, of which my favorite - and, as far as I know, the most faithful - is the 1995 BBC mini-series.

Emma: This one is another lovely (and lively) variation on Austen's theme of the trials and tribulations of finding a suitable mate. Here, unlike most of the other books, the heroine is not impoverished nor in particular need of a husband; instead, she amuses herself by attempting to make matches for her friends. How much success she has... well, that's part of the story, as is the question of whether she'll find romance herself. [Hey, it's Austen; what do you think!] Very funny, often very snarky, with some beautiful scenes of the kind of social embarrassments that ring all too true - definitely recommended!

I enjoyed the 1996 film adaptation starring Gwyneth Paltrow, which was surprisingly faithful to the book for a Hollywood adaptation. (Somewhat less faithful in details, if not in spirit, is the charming 1995 film Clueless, which puts the story in a modern-day setting to hilarious effect.)

[There's a TV Tropes page on Austen and her work.]

Released 3 wks ago (11/18/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, West Hartford Public Library in West Hartford, Vermont USA

I left this book in this spacious Little Free Library in front of the public library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in VT here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Movie release challenge. ***