The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

by H. P. Lovecraft | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/10/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, November 10, 2019
I found this slightly-battered '70s paperback in this Little Free Library in Amherst NH while dropping off some books of my own, and I nabbed it for another release copy. (It has a stamp inside the cover from the Book Rack in South Yarmouth, MA, so it's already done some traveling.)

Lovecraft's always fun - well, if you like Lovecraft at all; if you don't, his style may seem more than a bit purple, and his subject matter questionable! This collection of stories includes "The Hound" - one of my favorite Lovecraft stories, and the one that reminds me most of Poe, or even of some of the modern decadent-horror writers; it's one of the few stories where the protagonist is an unabashed sensation-seeker rather than a scientist or antiquarian or just some hapless soul who stumbled upon an eldritch horror. "The Unnameable" is a nice little tale in which Lovecraft addresses (whether with humorous intent or not I can't say) the question of whether something really can be indescribable or "unnameable". Since so many of his stories end with someone gasping out "the horror - words cannot describe...." I found that rather droll! [It's clear from his correspondence with other writers that HPL had a sense of humor but it doesn't appear in his writings much.] The book also includes "The Shadow Over Innsmouth," one of the foundation stories of his Cthulhu mythos. A good introduction to HPL!

[There's a TV Tropes page on "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", with links to more of HPL's work.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Moody St. in Amesbury, Massachusetts USA on Monday, November 11, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (11/12/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Moody St. in Amesbury, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this grey day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 The The Release Challenge. ***