Geekerella

by Ashley Poston | Teens |
Registered by locker-monster of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 11/9/2019
Journal Entry 1 by locker-monster from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 09, 2019
Welcome to BookCrossing! This book is now yours to do with as you please. Keep it and read it or pass it on after you're done. Before you do, please considering making a quick journal entry. We can all track this book's journey and the lives it touches forever more!

Journal Entry 2 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 09, 2019
I came upon this book after reading Ashley Poston's "Heart of Iron", since I wanted to check out more of her stuff. While the idea of YA romance has never interested me that much, the idea of setting the romance around a fandom/convention setting immediately grabbed my attention. And you know what? The romance wasn't that bad. It's the story of two regular (well, somewhat regular in Darien's case) teenagers, who text back and forth about their favourite TV show and fall for each other with a vague Cinderella theme in the background. Completely believable and not at all angst ridden. And then, there's the fandom stuff. The idea that fandom can bring people together from all walks of life is the greatest thing about it and the book absolutely captures that. I'm also impressed that Poston managed to create a cult sci-fi show from scratch that feels real. My only gripe with the story, and it's a minor one, but who the hell films a big budget sci-fi movie in 23 days?! Anyway, I'm totally willing to check out the next book in the series.
------------------
Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.

Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but the Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise.

Journal Entry 3 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 09, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (11/9/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing November meet-up.

Journal Entry 4 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2019
Picked up at the November meeting and forgot to journal in all the birthday events.

Journal Entry 5 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 07, 2020

Released 6 mos ago (8/7/2020 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Put in the bookbox! I loved, loved this book and I'm kicking myself for forgetting to bring it to the last in person meeting.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 6 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, September 02, 2020
Taken from the travelling book box.

Journal Entry 7 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, November 24, 2020
Cute - predictable but did not detract from enjoyment of this novel.

Journal Entry 8 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, November 24, 2020
Lent to neighbour AS, will be returned to book box at next opportunity

Journal Entry 9 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, January 15, 2021
Received back from neighbor AS. Will be returned to book box for next reader.

Journal Entry 10 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 22, 2021

Released 1 wk ago (2/21/2021 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Controlled release to fellow bookcrossing member

Journal Entry 11 by Mateya_Foster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, February 23, 2021
Caught from a fellow bookcrosser