We Sold Our Souls

by Grady Hendrix | Horror |
Registered by wingemmejowing of Cortland, New York USA on 11/7/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingemmejowing from Cortland, New York USA on Thursday, November 07, 2019
I picked this up on pure whim while browsing at the nearest independent bookstore, based entirely on the cover art, book design, and plot summary. What a good decision! It has been one of my most entertaining books of the year. I ended up reading this book in a day, staying up way too late in order to finish the story.

The premise is simple at first, featuring a formerly-locally-famous musician who is working her dead-end job when a former bandmate contacts her for help. Then things get delightfully weird! It turns out that their former frontman made some supernatural deals to get into his current position of fame, and a bunch of metalheads might be all that stands between humanity and a terrible fate.

I adored the main character, and the fact that she got to have such a distinctive and interesting role. We've seen the "washed up musician" trope a lot from a masculine view, but having a forty-something metal-playing bassist who is a woman is much more daring, and gives the author a whole new angle to focus Kris's blend of exhaustion and rage from. The author gave her a distinct voice and personality, larger-than-life in just the right ways for both a rockstar and an apocalypse-preventing hero.

The author also wrote about music in a way that thoroughly impressed me. It's hard to do, but this solidly conveys the gut feelings and sensations of listening to powerful music.

Journal Entry 2 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Thursday, November 14, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (11/14/2019 UTC) at Cortland, New York USA

Added to the Halloween Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 25, 2019
I'm claiming this hardcover from the Halloween bookbox - couldn't resist the dramatic cover and the rock-and-roll deviltry concept! (I got to meet the author a couple of months back; he was in Haverhill, Massachusetts at a horror-writers gathering, and I told him how much I enjoyed his novel Horrorstor.)

Later: This one... just didn't grab me. I had high hopes for the whole music-to-invoke-eldritch-horrors idea, but somehow it didn't work for me. Ah, well! [I do give the book bonus points for the cover-art - and the surprise on the hardcover itself; beneath the dust jacket, the book's cover features the text of the key song/rhyme/incantation from the story, printed mirror-image in silver letters on the black background. Really lovely, and adding that tome-of-eldritch-lore touch!]

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Livingston Park, off Hookset Rd in Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Friday, January 24, 2020

Released 3 wks ago (1/24/2020 UTC) at Livingston Park, off Hookset Rd in Manchester, New Hampshire USA

I'd seen a news item about several new LFLs being placed in Manchester, including one at Livingston Park, but I didn't see it there today; maybe they're waiting for spring to install them? Anyway, I left this book, bagged against the elements, on the shelf in the information kiosk at the trailhead; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***