The President is a Sick Man

by Matthew Algeo | History |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/31/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 31, 2019
I found this hardcover in this handsome seacoast Little Free Library in Gloucester MA while dropping off some books of my own. I knew about the stealth-surgery to remove a tumor from the mouth of president Grover Cleveland - indeed, I've seen the tissue, which resides in its original glass jar in the fabulous Mutter Museum in Philadelphia. But I didn't know the details of Cleveland's attempt to keep the surgery secret - or the fallout from one reporter's decision to break the story, only to have the establishment's denial taint his own career for years... The country was in turmoil at the time, with massive financial troubles, and everyone feared that if Cleveland was known to have cancer it might precipitate a disastrous crash; whether that was true - or a suitable reason for all the deceit - is hard to judge at this point, but it makes for a fascinating story. And I'm glad to have learned more about Cleveland himself. (It seems that the story was leaked by one of the participating doctors, one who was more than a bit disgruntled by having to miss an important appointment when he wasn't allowed to leave the yacht on which the operation was conducted. Lesson: do not annoy someone whom you're counting on to keep a secret!)

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, November 16, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (11/16/2019 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

I'm taking this book to today's BookCrossing meetup at the Panera at Porter Square in Cambridge; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 The The Release Challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingIddyluwing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, November 16, 2019
Picked this up at today's meeting of the Boston Bookcrossers in Cambridge. The title + subtitle drew me in (in full: The President is a Sick Man: Wherein the Supposedly Virtuous Grover Cleveland Survives a Secret Surgery at Sea and Vilifies the Courageous Newspaperman Who Dared Expose the Truth - who can resist a title like that, I ask you?)