The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

by Julia Cameron | Health, Mind & Body |
Registered by writetothebone of Louisville, Kentucky USA on 4/17/2004
Journal Entry 1 by writetothebone from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Saturday, April 17, 2004
Helped me tap into my creativity.

Journal Entry 2 by writetothebone at Another bookcrosser in Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, April 19, 2004
Released on Monday, April 19, 2004 at Another bookcrosser in Louisville, Kentucky USA.

Journal Entry 3 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Wednesday, April 21, 2004
Caught it! My plan is to work through it in May. My hubby, who is also a BC, wants to work with it as well. We may have it awhile before we can free it.

And, geez, writetothebone, it's in PERFECT condition. I amazed.

Journal Entry 4 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Wednesday, September 07, 2005
Since this is a 12-week book, I thought I'd check in at week six and give some thoughts. In some ways it's working - I'm journaling more and rediscovering the joys of writing for myself. But I'm also very frustrated with some of the questions. Like what would I do if I were 20 and money were no obstacle. I know that she means to shake dreams loose - and maybe it's because I've done one too many self-help books - but my reaction at this point is "but I'm NOT 20 and money IS an issue." Whats more, I have people and things in my life that totally conflict with what I would do if I were 20 (or 65) and money weren't an issue. Whereas at 20, I would backpack Europe and spend a summer living on the beach, right now I am 34 and have a toddler and a marriage and a house that are near and dear to me and so, those are no longer among my idea of a great time. It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't keep revisiting the issue in the exercise. So, I revolted today and wrote a list of dream things from my current status in life. Anyway, it's interesting to see all the anger issues this book is bringing up for me. I guess that means it's working.

And I'm having a hard time doing the artist's dates, because you're supposed to do them alone. It'd be better if I could take my daughter. Ok, maybe more distracting, but better. As it is, I'm settling for small bits of time alone to do small things. Which I guess is okay, too. It's just frustrating to be prompted to think about major changes and major goals when you have other priorities in your life, and frankly, I think I can be a writer and still have those other priorities in my life.

At any rate, it's an interesting experience and I'm often surprised at the strong emotions that bubble up while I'm working with the book.